Sign in to follow this  
ChrisC

Itch that glitch

Howdy strangers. This piece of art caught my eye yesterday, lovely collaboration. Double-Blind No.1 from The Double-Blind Experiments

Plus this monster, Contour & Shape from denial of service

Got me thinking about glitch techniques, digital distortion, generally shafting innocent pixels, thought it might be handy to document a few options. Clearly the examples above are crafted, not just one button solutions, but it's nice to know the tricks. Not interested in whether this is fashionable, overdone, cliché blah blah, it's all just tools right kids? Data moshing fits in here but that's pretty well documented anyway.
I'll start ;-)
First, DataGlitch of course, Rowbyte. Tons of control, detail, quick:
DataGlitch.jpg
Then there's the related RGGlitch, Red Giant. Similar style, slightly different output. More localised, maybe not as rich as DataGlitch - less blocky.
RGGlitch.jpg
Holomatrix does a nice job now it's a proper plugin. RedGiant. Fiddly interface but quite customisable in terms of output:
RG_Holomatrix.jpg
Good old displacement, with some tv static. A bit analog.
TVstatic.jpg
A personal favourite, using Griddler with 'Cut Tiles' on, and very small scales. If you animate between ±2 you get some nice flicker.
griddler.jpg

There's also datamoshing, which can have spectacular effects, but as far as I know the only way to do it is to hack up your clip manually. It'd be neat if there was a plugin that did it, but it depends on a bunch of file quirks that I'm not sure you could easily replicate.

(Did a quick search before posting and someone totally made a plugin. Or, rather, a template. Super curious as to how they pulled it off. Obviously it's faked, but it's still relatively convincing.)

Re: data moshing - it's obviously relevant, but is its own category I think. The plugin looked interesting, and the examples are nice - but it's not as rich or interesting as the real thing, feels a bit like supermarket sushi - looks right, ingredients are there, but at the end you're wishing you'd gone for the real thing.

The Time filters all look interesting, gonna have to do some experimenting there. I tried some sort of slit-scan thing recently, with CC Time Blend - it was fiddly as hell, but the results were fun.

ScaleWipe - nice.

scaleWipe.jpg

Great thread!

It's not AE related but I'll throw this one in the mix:

IMG_6246med.jpg

The video synth. Based on the same idea as an audio synthesiser. Basically I run a video out via HDMI and then it goes through a convertor to SD, into the synth and then back into the computer via a Blackmagic Intensity Extreme (or straight into the TV). Makes for an excellent round trip...

In the photo above the picture is being messed up by the audio of the video itself, fed through a guitar delay pedal as well as a tone generated by an audio synth. The possibilities are pretty endless.

The one I'm using is called the 3trins - http://bleeplabs.com/store/3TrinsRGB1/

Edited by lindsayh

The video synth. Based on the same idea as an audio synthesiser. Basically I run a video out via HDMI and then it goes through a convertor to SD, into the synth and then back into the computer via a Blackmagic Intensity Extreme (or straight into the TV). Makes for an excellent round trip...

Very nice, guess you can 'play' your distortion, and capture it back in to disk? Fun!

Another technique I've been using was trying to get convincing neon flicker, rather than hand-keying it which always looks a little fake. A studio I used to work at had their neon lighting set on a dimmer switch, which meant you could tweak the dimmer to just the point where the strips started to flicker. I filmed it (little Olympus number) then used AE to read the brightness, which gave some loverly detailed 'flicker' curves.

NeonFlicker.jpg

I've used these for all sorts of text transitions and glitchy effects, here's a direct use on three neon strips:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574262/mograph/boomVray.mov

C4D file with just the resulting curves:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574262/dump/neon_flicker.c4d.zip

Edited by ChrisC

How do you pull that curve from brightness in AE? Thats a pretty neat trick

There's a 'sample image' expression, reads the colour at a certain position of a layer. Works like this, gives a 4-dimension vector (RGBA):

sampleImage(point, radius = [.5, .5], postEffect = true, t = time)

I added a slider, then read off one of the values.

temp=sampleImage([960,540], radius = [5,5]);

temp[1]*100;

Then used 'expression to keyframes', to get the data baked and out of AE.

Great thread!

It's not AE related but I'll throw this one in the mix:

That's pretty fucking cool.