Sign in to follow this  
simonfarussell

Radial Wipes

I'm going to have to do a lot of radial style animation; lots of techy circles wiping on and off.

The radial wipe is fairly limited as doesn't have separate start and end parameters.

The shape layers are ok but you a) have to design with shape layers (not PSD/AI etc) and B) the trim function doesn't extend past 100%.

Anyone got any thoughts?

The radial wipe is fairly limited as doesn't have separate start and end parameters.

Not really an issue. Some simple expression math to work with the start angle is all that is required. Otherwise there's a million ways to handle this, but without seeing the actual design requirements of course everything will be a shot in the dark.

Mylenium

This guy makes that workflow exceedingly useful.

Thanks that's pretty cool but unfortunately it doesn't turn an AI circle into a circle in the way as it would behave if you created it in AE. (without the same trim options etc.)

Not really an issue. Some simple expression math to work with the start angle is all that is required. Otherwise there's a million ways to handle this, but without seeing the actual design requirements of course everything will be a shot in the dark.

Unfortunately I can't show the design but it's pretty well just segments of circles spinning, some with attached 'clock hand' style widgets attached.

Yeah, I started playing around with expressions although I'm quite rusty and I'm not totally happy with code. Once I start I can get sucked down the rabbit hole a bit. I think it would probably be quicker for me to just keyframe the radial wipe.

But out of interest how would you handle creating overshoot? (Going <0 and >100 in Transition Complete) I presume it would just be some kind of modulus?

Edited by simonfarussell

Shape Layers 'Trim Paths' function does have an Offset parameter which might help achieve overshoot. Another option is to use a 'Merge Paths' set to intersect (or whatever) and rotate something like a triangle with one corner anchored to the centre of the circles - depends what you're doing exactly.

Are you missing the Layer>Create Shapes from Vector Layer command in AE? Most times, people make graphics in AI, import, convert to Shape Layers with that, and then use Explode Shape Layers script to ease editing by splitting and re-grouping the shapes (AE tends to make one horribly un-navigable layer). If you plan ahead you can create multiple layers in AI of course and save a few headaches.

I even have ft-toolbar setup with the Create Shapes command and Set First Vertex as one click buttons. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to reverse path direction with that, you have to delve into the layer's parameters to do that.

EDIT: Incidentally, once you close a path in AE, there is no way to break it again like C4D's 'close spline' checkbox. The only way to do it is copy the path, paste into AI, delete the segment, and copy-paste back into AE. Which usually results in some offset in position, it's a pain.

Edited by kitkats

Yepp AE is a lot worse than C4D, though parameter animation in C4D isn't particularly comfortable, either, once you realyl start to animate a lot of things...

Mylenium

EDIT: Incidentally, once you close a path in AE, there is no way to break it again like C4D's 'close spline' checkbox. The only way to do it is copy the path, paste into AI, delete the segment, and copy-paste back into AE. Which usually results in some offset in position, it's a pain.

Actually, you can open a closed path in AE. You just have to select the two adjacent points you want to open, and then right click, and click on 'closed.' Took me a while to figure that out. For some reason it's not very intuitive, but there you go.

Edited by jayfaker

Actually, you can open a closed path in AE. You just have to select the two adjacent points you want to open, and then right click, and click on 'closed.' Took me a while to figure that out. For some reason it's not very intuitive, but there you go.

Holy crap, thanks for pointing that out. I've seen that 'Closed' text but it was always greyed out.