Sign in to follow this  
theta

Element 3D - network rendering

I was surprised to find out that Element 3D doesn't support network rendering - at all. No licensing options even exist. The guy from video copilot told me that some people have tried it with varying success. Are any of those people here, and could you offer any advice on how to get that working?

I love E3D for how quick it is, but I always end up having to jack up the AA and sampling settings to get rid of the crawlies...Hoping to get it on the network to get the render times down.

Edited by theta

Crawlies are exactly what you might get when sending a render across a network of GPUs. That's the bugger here. GPU from machine to machine can be pretty inconsistent. And Element has no fallback CPU mode.

I think, fundamentally, Element 3D is simply designed to be a down-and-dirty 3D rendering environment. I use it for basic shapes, slabs and every job that requires a jet fighter (which so far is zero).

Edited by graymachine

Ah, yeah i was thinking it was the nature of the GPU rendering. But Vray can distribute it's GPU render across the network, I was just surprised they don't even allow it.

The best use I've discovered for it is creating a lot of out of focus bokeh shapes with abstract reflections, etc... It's great for that, but kinda sucks for clean hi-res renders.

Hey guys, we definitely explored this concept and here are some things we considered.

Element 3D uses OpenGL for rendering so It get's its speed from rendering the entire frame at once, on a single GPU.

On the other hand, CPU ray-tracers and CUDA renders like Octane focus on rendering individual pixels or rays. So these points can be rendered anywhere at any speed and then combined for the final image.

So for an individual artist using Element 3D, having a powerful GPU is ideal but I understand that once you crank up the settings super high it can slow down.

With that said, network rendering is possible with Element 3D but it requires a render farm with adequate GPU's and since most render farms don't have great GPU's, we decided to focus our resources on local GPU rendering performance. It is also ideal that all render farm GPU's are from the same maker.

If you want to try it out, I'm sure we could arrange some discounted licenses to be used on a farm...

But, If I'm completely honest, I think that once you get to the point where you NEED a render farm for Element 3D, then you start crossing that software threshold where your project might benefit from using C4D which can be sent to a render farm.

I believe in Element 3D 100% and I think that render speed is a huge advantage for a lot of projects, not to mention using it for look development with instant feedback but I also use 3D max and Vray for projects when I need to.

Best!

Edited by AndrewKramer