Sign in to follow this  
foughtthelaw

Delay turbulence in Particular

I'm trying to figure out a way to delay the start of the "fade-in" for the turbulence physics property in Particular. I've got a light drawing a line and after a while I want that line to wiggle/fade out but I want it to be stationary long enough to be read. I'm suspicion it can't be done but figured I'd ask the group before giving up on it.

any ideas?

All I can really think of is starting with a position turbulence of 0, and then turning it up at 7 seconds. It'll affect the particles already spawned, so the whole line would fade into a wiggle, but it would be the whole line at once instead of travelling down the line.

Can you animate "Affected by Parent" on the child particles?

Yeah, do a switcheroo between parent which is unaffected by turbulence and the child that is (should have its own turbulence setting rather than the physics field) by crossfading the effect on turbulence into the position of the child particles.

If its possible to only see the child particles, you should see a straight stream the becomes kinked. riiiight?

Can you animate "Affected by Parent" on the child particles?

Yeah, do a switcheroo between parent which is unaffected by turbulence and the child that is (should have its own turbulence setting rather than the physics field) by crossfading the effect on turbulence into the position of the child particles.

If its possible to only see the child particles, you should see a straight stream the becomes kinked. riiiight?

hot damn. I'm just going to have to try that. I already figured out how to do it w/ x particles, but it'd be nice to not need to rely on that.

I'm trying to figure out a way to delay the start of the "fade-in" for the turbulence physics property in Particular. I've got a light drawing a line and after a while I want that line to wiggle/fade out but I want it to be stationary long enough to be read. I'm suspicion it can't be done but figured I'd ask the group before giving up on it.

any ideas?

Unless I am missing something here...

Physics > Turbulence Field > Fade-in Time

Unless I am missing something here...

Physics > Turbulence Field > Fade-in Time

the gotcha is that it has to remain perfectly still for, lets say, 5 seconds. and THEN fade in, not fade in over 5 seconds.

I must not be following the problem. If you want the turbulence to happen later, then just keyframe the parameter that be affected by turbulence. Anyway, it sounds like you have a couple options already.