Sign in to follow this  
jayfaker

The priority of AE feature requests.

Hey Todd,

I just wanted to ask before I submitted this feature request. Is there a difference in priority between a feature request that is really more a fix and a feature request that is a brand new thing? Take mine for example:

When you select keyframes from multiple layers and copy and paste, AE ignores the keyframe selection and just pastes new layers, which is frustrating when you have so many keyframes to copy and paste. I think it would be more intuitive and very useful if AE would paste the selected keyframes on all the respective properties on the multiple layers.

Also, when you select a range of keyframes from multiple properties and use the keyframe assistant to time-reverse them, the keyframes are reversed but only between the first and last keyframes selected on each individual property. I think it would also be more intuitive and very useful if, instead, they are all reversed between the first and last keyframes of the entire selection. Because you are probably wanting to reverse the keyframes of the entire animation, not the local animation on each track. Probably. That's how I think, anyway.

Anyways, these are small workflow fixes, which probably wouldn't take too long. I'll submit them, but I guess I don't feel like I have any hope of seeing these changes soon since they aren't big requests like the ones at the top of your list.

Edit: I mean, keyframe-able shape/mask vertices would be great too, but I'm sure that takes longer. ;) Oh and speed. Definitely like speed.... Oh, and...

Edited by jayfaker

When you select keyframes from multiple layers and copy and paste, AE ignores the keyframe selection and just pastes new layers, which is frustrating when you have so many keyframes to copy and paste. I think it would be more intuitive and very useful if AE would paste the selected keyframes on all the respective properties on the multiple layers

http://aescripts.com/

Would be better if it was built-in though.

Edited by robertbowen

I was talking to one of our TDs at the office the other day and he was mentioning that they've created there loading scripts to open a special after effects project they've created that's set to linear light since they can't access those settings via scripting. I told them I'd pass it along. Can we get access to those settings on a scripting level?

I'll let todd speak for the inner workings of priorities in development and the AE team. but I know for a fact the first thing he's going to say is to always fill out a feature request no matter what.

I've seen Todd make the case for filling out feature and bug reports at AE World in Seattle twice now. I thoroughly expect the case to be plead a third time in September. I know that form can be obnoxious. helps to just keep it in the book mark bar and every time something like this comes to mind just take the 5 minutes and fill it out.

I'd like to know when the AE speed update is likely to land. Is it possible to say which quarter?

Shit, I hope the answer is "CC 2K15 is mostly one giant speed update". Hasn't that been the plan all along? Can't be more than a few months from release now. I don't expect an answer prior to whatever sneak-peak reveals Adobe is going to do, but if this turns out to be any type of release other than "holy crap we finally have live previewing (via GPGPU or whatever it takes) and a bunch of things that make AE's workflow more efficient and intuitive" I will be... disappoint. People have been asking for this for a long time and nothing impedes the creative workflow like things that force you to wait in the middle of the ole trial and error process. I can't think of a more important feature than real-time previewing at a decent quality level (or something very close to that). So much good would flow from that -- wouldn't even matter what your specialty is.

Shit, I hope the answer is "CC 2K15 is mostly one giant speed update". Hasn't that been the plan all along? Can't be more than a few months from release now. I don't expect an answer prior to whatever sneak-peak reveals Adobe is going to do, but if this turns out to be any type of release other than "holy crap we finally have live previewing (via GPGPU or whatever it takes) and a bunch of things that make AE's workflow more efficient and intuitive" I will be... disappoint. People have been asking for this for a long time and nothing impedes the creative workflow like things that force you to wait in the middle of the ole trial and error process. I can't think of a more important feature than real-time previewing at a decent quality level (or something very close to that). So much good would flow from that -- wouldn't even matter what your specialty is.

The next major update better be about speed. If AE doesn't sprint like a panther soon, I say take it out back and put it out of its misery.

Watching the current version crawl along while most of my hardware sits idle is just depressing.

The next major update better be about speed. If AE doesn't sprint like a panther soon, I say take it out back and put it out of its misery.

Watching the current version crawl along while most of my hardware sits idle is just depressing.

Pretty much this, on a regular basis.

Brainstorm now works on mask vertices and we've included an all new picasso-look filter - boom!

LMAO. I saw this is at a work site today and almost spit my drink at lunch. Good one.

...or he's caught up in what in economics sciences is called a "bullshit job" - "the system" being busy organising itself. You know, endless phone conferences and all that crap...

Mylenium

Goes without saying any Adobe Product Manager has to deal with a lot of that crap. The 6 most hated words by people who actually develop and manage the development of technology: "I have to meet with marketing." Hopefully you're right and NAB will provide some relief in terms of knowing what's to come. For C4D too. From a recent NAB blurb they posted:

"MAXON will showcase the next generation of its powerful 3D software solutions that address the changing workflow needs of creative professionals working in broadcast, film and video and interactive media. Recently, MAXON debuted Cinema 4D R16 to its worldwide customer base and industry at large. At NAB 2015, members of the press and show attendees will be able to see demonstrations by professional guest artists illustrating a wide range of projects created with Cinema 4D."

I wonder if by "changing workflow needs" they mean people who, given powerful hardware, expect to experiment with high poly objects or high particle counts in the viewport, without an animation or effect monopolizing all system resources to the point you can't even escape (esc) or cancel out (cmd-period) to try a new setting? I expect more of the same in terms of letting other companies solve their problems. More bridges, plugins and "synergies". How's that for a marketing word? :mellow:

Edited by Zmotive

People have certainly been asking for 5 years or more. I get that it takes more than a cycle to make big under the hood changes generally, but hopefully they started long before CC 2K14 if a re-write is their plan.

He never responded...... The times have changed

Eh... I'm not really that important. I just whine most of the time. :) And it's probable that all he can really say is just "fill out that dang feature request form already!"

Edited by jayfaker

if a re-write is their plan.

Do they? Will they? No idea. Ultimately my lack of faith in that part is why I cancelled my MSA after having waited for siginificant enhancements in vain for 3 versions...

Mylenium

Do they? Will they? No idea. Ultimately my lack of faith in that part is why I cancelled my MSA after having waited for siginificant enhancements in vain for 3 versions...

Mylenium

The re-write comment was in reference to Adobe not Maxon, but in either case I agree the same level of skepticism should apply (an essentially for the same reasons).

The longer I'm around this business the more I take a "I'll believe it when I see it attitude." I don't put nearly as much time into following leaks and stuff like that as I used to. Nothing wrong with getting the pulse of a community in a place like this once a year as a new release nears, but otherwise a waste of time.

Most of what we end up seeing amounts to a viral marketing game that rarely pans out in the near-term. Though in the case of NAB / SIGGRAPH demonstrations what we're going to see is real. Just a question of to what degree (is the release focused on these kinds of improvements) and timing. No guarantees what's shown in a tech demo at a trade show today ends up in the "upcoming version" tomorrow. Might be something we get 2 years from now. But better than nothing in terms of developers being open and at least giving people reason to continue investing their time and money...

Don't I remember that pre-CS6 Nvidia/ SIGGRAPH demo and a certain product manager being all too obviously pretentious about it? Tech demo *pfft*. That was just plain stupid. Otherwise that stuff is of course the eternal cock tease of the computer technology world, but quite frankly companies are doing themselves a disservice of showing such stuff when they are not ready, willing or able to actually implement it. As Murphy's law will have it, inevitably a Photoshop demo at Adobe MAX will cause too much buzz to go unnoticed and people just wanted that de-blur filter so desperately... Alas, they will never learn.

Mylenium

No way is AE getting a major re-write any time soon, or GPU acceleration outside of specific effects (a la RG Universe) or render engines (a la Raytraced 3D). The speed improvements will be down to better, dynamic management of memory and CPU resources and some improvements with expressions; and minor UI / usability changes. There won't be any ubertwirl for a couple of years yet either, and nodes are not even on the map.

That's my prediction anyway. That and Project Animal.

That's perhaps a bit too pessimistic. Some things are not that difficult to "fix", others more complicated. Either way, it will always be a chase for the white rabbit. AE is just old and has some fundamental software design issues that can't just be talked away.

Mylenium

I would love to see features added to AE that are in the AE script realm become native or AE open up more hooks so more AE Scripts can be created. I love AE scripts. I would love to be surprised by how fast AE is... just one time. Most of the day I type cards for movie trailers and I wonder why is this shit so slow. It is live type witha basic bitch glow. What is the deal. I know it might be my set up, my fucking mac or my server or something on my end. I wish AE would figure out what the problem was and just fix it...jesus. Like in the movie HER the computer does fucking something for you! Or liek Zbrush were it optimizes the performaced based on you setup. Or make AE a lot harder to use so things take longer and then American jobs won't be outsourced. Pick one.

Edited by pixel_pimp