Sign in to follow this  
andregodinh

Best platform/cms for a portfolio website?

I'm in the process of building my personal website, to showcase my work, reel, etc.

That said, what do you guys think is the best CMS out there for doing that? Cargo, Squarespace, Behance Pro Site? Or just drop those altogether and create on using wordpress or something like that?

Just curious to know your opinions!

Thanks!

Edited by andregodinh

namecheap + wordpress + theme from themeforest.

get a wordpress theme with a visual page layout plugin. so its easy to make custom pages.

i see no reason to use the other sites. Maybe maintain a parallel behance site to get some more exposure.

Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna check this out! And yes, I already have behance, seems to be a nice way to get exposure (even though it doesn't seem as popular with motion graphics artists as with graphic designers).

Probably for now I will just make a splash page with a reel, and a link to the behance portfolio.

Edited by andregodinh

I used Cargo and it was pretty easy to set up. Squarespace is good as well I'm told.

Regarding Behance, I don't use it myself, do you think it's worthwhile setting up?

I'm in the exact same boat. Cargo is STUPID easy to use/customize. Behance just seems like the bastard lovechild of deviantArt and Linkedin. does anyone actully get work through it or is it as big a strokefest as it looks?

I use Behance Pro site simply because it does what most of the others do, and it is included free with the Adobe CC subscription. Behance does have a nice iOS app that helps keep things updated. They also can pull from LinkedIn, so it's one less site I have to worry about updating.

Before that, I was using wordpress.

Oh and no, I have not got any work through behance. I haven't checked my traffic stats in awhile to see for sure, but no client has mentioned it.

I've been looking at SquareSpace because it looks so easy to customize. I've tried Cargo and Behance Pro site also, but never went through with any of them. Behance Pro Site is not as customizable as Squarespace, and it does not have a mobile version.

I used Cargo and it was pretty easy to set up. Squarespace is good as well I'm told.

Regarding Behance, I don't use it myself, do you think it's worthwhile setting up?

I started working only a couple of years ago, so I don't have a lot of work. I have a Behance page (mostly out of lazyness) because it is easy to use. I got 1 job through behance actually, but overall I don't think the video/motion graphics community is very present there...

+1 for squarespace / Vimeo pro

Once you get it up and running it's really easy to update content. I also like how it works on any device or browser and doesn't screw up your layout. If I was more web savy I'd probably go the Wordpress option for total control, but it's not as straightforward as squarespace for someone with minimal web skills like myself.

I use my old iPad a lot when I'm checking out other people reels and portfolios and about 50% of the time there are some pretty bad layout and format issues that make for a less than professional user experience. I know most producers and clients are probably on a laptop, but there are more phablets and tablets out there these days making it more of a pain in the ass then it used to be to make sure things look good across devices.

Are there folks that would be interested in a Wordpress portfolio, but just don't have the time to learn it? I was kicking around the idea of a tutorial on the concept.

It's pretty easy. Part of the trick is working with a video friendly template, or at least having a plugin that deals well with video. There's a number of easy options. Or... meh?

I would love to learn a bit about that graymachine. I've been toying with the idea, and have heard its not that bad to do, but a solid tut geared towards a mograph portfolio would kill the last of my excuses for putting it off

Are there folks that would be interested in a Wordpress portfolio, but just don't have the time to learn it? I was kicking around the idea of a tutorial on the concept.

It's pretty easy. Part of the trick is working with a video friendly template, or at least having a plugin that deals well with video. There's a number of easy options. Or... meh?

Oh yes. Oh god. Oh god yes. Ooooh my god. Oh oh oh oh...

I've been going down the rabbit hole of wordpress stuff for the last couple of days trying to figure out what it is, how malleable a "theme" is, how you, uh... y'know... how you do all the things. I'm kind of starting from ground zero. Explain like I'm 5. That would make me so happy.

This fxphd class was extremely helpful for not only for setting up Wordpress/DNS/hosting but also setting up Google apps for work (email), pingdom, site speed optimization, Google analytics, etc. Takes a beginner approach, which is great.

https://www.fxphd.com/fxphd/courseDetails.php?idCourse=463

Also if anyone here knows a bit about AJAX and JavaScript initialization of a wordpress plugin PM me, I have a specific question for ya.

Edited by superegophobia

This would be great!

I had been using Prosite from behance for the past 2-3 years, but just switched over to SquareSpace a week or two ago. SS is much easier to update/customize and all their themes are 'responsive' and look great on any device.

SS and Vimeo is a great combination...

Just thought I'd give my 2 cents:

Used to use Drupal, made a couple of sites quickly in Wordpress, customised a Cargo template last year and recently tried Squarespace for a few hours.

The trouble with Drupal and to a lesser extent Wordpress is that you end up being responsible for all the maintenance. Updating plugins etc may not seem like much hassle, but if you get busy with real work and come back to them 2 years later there can be a backlog of shit you have to figure out and wrangle.

With Cargo and Squarespace that's much more handled for you by the providers, as well as ensuring the 'responsive' stuff works - for example Cargo can automatically use a 2x res JPEG on retina screens and as mentioned SS themes are all responsive to different device screens.

Although I only tried SS for a short time I already prefer it over Cargo. Cargo has that whole 'community' thing which I just think is a waste of time with Dribbble, FFFound, Behance etc doing it better anyway. Squarespace feels like there is a bigger ambition and development staff behind it, more customisability and more integration with other platforms.

Harry. Come back. Do want.

Stop playing with your kids or doing charity work or saving kittens or whatever you're doing. Rain down your glorious knowledge and cleanse the unwashed masses.

I tried WordPress in the past. Had something up and running and then versions of things started changing and my theme was no longer supported.

I then used indexhibit for awhile. Not bad, but limited design options and still required me to hard code a lot of stuff.

I gave up and went with Squarespace.

It's just so easy. Everything just works, on desktops, mobile, tablets.

I can do updates from my phone, create shopping carts and have items for sale.

Like sbmotiondesign said, Vimeo Pro integration is very tight.

I've heard there are some limitations if you really want advanced control, but for my purposes its phenomenally easy and low-maintenance.

I used Textpattern for years and years. Used it for all my person sites, professional sites, and stuff like the Sequence group site. Tried Wordpress a long time ago, hated everything about it compared to Textpattern, so I stuck with Textpattern and never went back.

A few weeks ago I decided to start a new blog. Out of sheer curiousity, I installed Wordpress. It'd been a number of years, I thought I'd give it another shot. Good lord, when did Wordpress get so good? It's...not even remotely the same CMS I used all those years ago. I guess stuff changes over time. Who knew?

Got to give it to Square Space. Easy to use and took me a day to build my site. Serves it's purpose and I use Vimeo to host you guessed it my videos.

The idea of having my own website that i've built from scratch sounds awesome but the reality of learning it all is way too much.