Sign in to follow this  
CyanSeaHorse

Help with Particular, Optical flares and tracking

Hey guys,

I'm trying to track some light streaks / optical flares to some live action footage - I have no idea how to track the start position of a light / null object for trap code and optical flares.

The effect i'm trying to achieve is like this tutorial of Andrew Kramer's, except the footage isn't on a tripod - but rather, the camera whips and follows the emitter.

Here's a few screen grabs from a sample, you can see the particle starts in the distance and flies passed the camera, but the trail remains attached:

Cv9kufL.png

nIxv346.png

gpLA86c.png

Would it make sense to use the AE tracker and track a nulls position to use for the start point and then track another null for the end point?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Edited by CyanSeaHorse

I'd do a 2D track (either by hand or with the AE tracker) then parent a light to my tracked null to use as a reference for optical flares. Then just scale the size of the flare manually to give the impression of perspective

Edited by simonfarussell

When you say you would do a 2d track would that not result in the null sitting in one place throughout? As far as I understand I need the AE camera to simulate the live-action camera so that particular and the optical flare react as realistically as possible. But using AE's camera tracker is not able to solve the shot in order for me to create a camera based on the track

Ah sorry I misread what you put and thought you just wanted to put optical flares in there.

Yeah to do trails you'd need a 3D track, for flares not so much.

The AE Camera Tracker is something that either works or doesn't, there's not much room to help it along. I haven't used it much so maybe they've updated it.

The Foundry's camera tracker is better but you may well run into the same problem there too.

The C4D camera tracker is pretty decent, you could give that a whirl if you have access.

Just to update and I need some advice, I managed to get Foundry's camera tracker and am successfully tracking the shots and bringing into c4d.

I just have a few issues now:

1. How would I attach white dots to the ends of the fibres? And how could I attach a light to travel along a spline while the spline grows? (see the image below regarding the white spots) I think I need to use a "Tracer" object with "align to spline" - but it's been so long since I did that I have no idea

Sm3Ve8A.png

2. When I render out of C4D there seems to be a bit of quality loss, do you have any advice for getting maximum render quality for image sequences out of C4D?

many thanks for any advice!

Sounds like you need to use a Tracer on your nulls (or whatever is moving) to create the splines.

Using a cloner in object mode is best to add dots to the end. Put the tracer in the cloners object link. Then you can move your clones around on the spline using offset. You'll probably want them at 99% to have them at the growing end.

Quality wise it's hard to say without seeing what your doing. If you're using a lossless format it will not loose quality. But maybe you should be outputting your trails out of Cinema and comping in AE for your final shot.

If you see my image below, I already have a cloner object of cylinders - could I just add some white spheres into the cylinder object (maybe make a null) and then put the cylinder with the white sphere into the cloner object? and then add the tracer to the cloner object link?

Thanks for the help, I'm definitely rendering to AE and comping back over the footage

wcfSwF5.png