Sign in to follow this  
Todd Kopriva

what's coming in the next version of After Effects

Actually... a lot of issues can almost exclusively be blamed on graphics hardware vendors not doing their homework. Can't well use an acceleration framework when the graphics driver has lotsa bugs and even for "simple" OpenGL most apps a full to the brim with extra code to probe for bugs and provide workarounds for specific driver versions and models of cards. Naturally with a Mac's limited choice on the hardware side this will be a different story. The beauty of Metal is probably going to be that Apple take a lot of that off the shoulders of devs by building it into the system core and doing all the dirty work...

Mylenium

Let's hope. Would be nice for there to be a single, well-documented, high-performance, stable API around for a few years. Something devs can feel good about adopting on their next cycle and going forward for OS X apps.

Todd, I've been using 2015 for less than a week and....wow. just wow. You guys have been working hard. I love it!

I know you guys (especially you, Todd) don't hear this enough, but, well done After Effects team. You've sorted out so many things.

Now let's wait a couple weeks till I discover bugs :)

Ed

Todd, I've been using 2015 for less than a week and....wow. just wow. You guys have been working hard. I love it!

I know you guys (especially you, Todd) don't hear this enough, but, well done After Effects team. You've sorted out so many things.

Now let's wait a couple weeks till I discover bugs :)

Ed

Yeah there's a few bugs but I share your sentiment. Really enjoying using AE 2015. Gratitude to Todd and the AE team.

Also nice to have artboards in Photoshop

The best part (from what I gather) is they haven't integrated the full assortment of performance improvements yet, including multi-threading optimizations, which I believe are part of the intended road map for upcoming non-bug-fix releases. So it seems likely the smoothness and real-time-ness (new word!) of interacting and previewing with AE is likely to get better. Hopefully as soon as next major release. But I know they probably can't verify that publicly.

To put this into perspective, I was rendering out this comp which was 5 3D layers, two of which were heavily rotoed and keyed. After client sign-off I was able to pre-render these, making a 30-minute render into an 11-minute render. Then I installed CC2015. I was working on an imac with quad core i7 and 32 gb ram, but could only get 2gb per core for multiprocessor rendering. CC2015 comes along, says, 'this ain't right' and pisses out my renders at less than 4 minutes. It's either my ignorance or 2015's brilliance, but either way I can't ignore all the tweaks that I've wanted for years coming all at once.

To put this into perspective, I was rendering out this comp which was 5 3D layers, two of which were heavily rotoed and keyed. After client sign-off I was able to pre-render these, making a 30-minute render into an 11-minute render. Then I installed CC2015. I was working on an imac with quad core i7 and 32 gb ram, but could only get 2gb per core for multiprocessor rendering. CC2015 comes along, says, 'this ain't right' and pisses out my renders at less than 4 minutes. It's either my ignorance or 2015's brilliance, but either way I can't ignore all the tweaks that I've wanted for years coming all at once.

If I were to guess, I'd say that your case described above is a result of some improvements that we made to the caching system. And/or, if you're using a lot of expressions, you might be getting the benefit of some of the expression evaluation improvements.

Regarding what's coming next:

We acknowledge that we broke a few things (especially regarding audio previews and triggers for starting and stopping previews) during this massive re-architecture. We've got a bug-fix update coming out this month that fixes the biggest and most annoying of these problems, and we're targeting a bigger update for mid-fall that will take care of the rest, as well as re-implementing some of the things that we had to leave out of v13.5.0. Over the next year or so, we're putting a lot of effort into taking more advantage of this more fully multithreaded application; that includes some advances in GPU processing, too.