Sign in to follow this  
Zmotive

Adobe Preparing to Buy The Foundry

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/privateequity/11562472/Adobe-eyes-200m-bid-for-British-visual-effects-firm-The-Foundry.html

I bet MAXON loves this bit of news. I wonder how many of their licensed customers also have CC subscriptions. :ph34r:
(hint: the answer rhymes with "rallroast rall of rem".)

Modo... Mari.... Nuke... all of which can do certain things as well or better than C4D, added to your toolbox at probably at a very modest subscription increase, given the amount of capability being added. I would not be surprised if the cost remained well under $100/month for the whole suite (CC + Foundry apps), should the deal be approved. Can you imagine how many indie firms would sign on for that?

Welp there's always Mograph and ease of use to to hang your hats on! I'm sure that advantage will last forever.

Sleep well, MAXON.

As a Modo user, and at least a passing interest in Nuke, I'd put Adobe in the 'least worst' category of buyers. Autodesk must be a contender, them buying Modo would be a dark day indeed. With Adobe there would definitely be a change in company culture, but that's already started with the Foundry, they don't communicate nearly as much as previously, and what does come out has clearly been smothered in marketing gloop.

If this goes ahead with Adobe my optimistic head has the CC offering suddenly becoming much better value, tighter integration of Modo into AE, some feature swaps, perhaps even Modo's preview in AE.

My cynic outlook has Adobe keeping Creative Cloud as it is, and introducing a 'CCPro' version, Modo Mari Nuke, all or nothing, with a price suited to large studios not freelancers.

Let's see...

Adobe's bid is kinda low, no? *edit - I guess that's what the owner's of Foundry actually want.

In my opinion, I don't want to see this happen... but money talks.

Edited by oeuf

Adobe is all about the cross-app integration and ecosystem, that's why CC dropped the bundles. I can see how Modo and Mari would integrate well and plug holes within and between PS and AE. Nuke has a quite a bit of overlap with AE so that is less clear, I guess moving forward it would be AE for motion GFX and Nuke for nodal compositing, maybe some of AE's not-very-pro compositing features would be left to die or ported over to Nuke. Trying to shoehorn Nuke Studio into an ecosystem with AE and PP seems kind of untidy to me - like you choose PP if your film is more mography and Studio if it's more VFXy?

We're all familiar with the industry from the inside, but VFX is pretty niche in the context of Adobe's 'creativity'. 80% of Photoshop's users probably don't even realise it's possible to paint in 3D.

@chrisC, what kind of work are you using modo for? Im considering learning if it goes adobes way.. been thinking about it for a couple of versions anyway.

@chrisC, what kind of work are you using modo for? Im considering learning if it goes adobes way.. been thinking about it for a couple of versions anyway.

Great for modelling, UV unwraps. MeshFusion is a great tool too.

I've tried a few larger projects using it, but the scene management and material setup always make me cringe, it's not built to scale. But as a pipeline into Cinema it works really well.

I really hate this news. The last thing I want is Adobe controlling the future of Nuke/Nuke Studio.

It's not ideal, but finish the sentence: The last thing I want is Adobe controlling the future of Nuke/Nuke Studio, I'd much rather it was {company name} with a spare $200m.

Autodesk? Apple? Nemetschek? Another quick cash-in investment company? It's not a long list, and there's very few good answers.

I don't think that tweet means anything. Mostly on account of it being a tweet... and 100% vague. :)

If they outright had no intention to bid or the story was 100% bogus, Adobe employees could just come out and say so because there's no legal risk to doing so. If the whole thing is made up then there's no issue with publicly putting that back on the news outlet. However if there's some truth to it... they can't come right out and say it's BS.

Edited by Zmotive

Adobe is more secretive than the NSA about such matters... :P Mr. K. probably wouldn't admit he's working there if you electro-fried his balls.... *lol*

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

Depends. Could be cool(er) once it ties in with the Character app and the rigging gets better, but for now it's nothing I would use beyond perhaps random background fillers or people walking the halls in machinery visualizations. Those characters look way too much like rubber puppets and are rather low-poly, so I'm having a hard time imagining anyone using it as hero characters in games or traditional animation.

Mylenium

It's all too early to tell. Who knows if they will buy it. Or keep it separate. Or what the effects will be. Maybe a few people at Adobe but that's probably about it.

Maybe we should get a $200m kickstarter together? :)

Yes mate. I have a spare tenner