Sign in to follow this  
Basic

Adobe Character Animator - Thoughts?

How is everyone feeling about this? Looks good from this.

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/creativecloud/cc/pdfs/nab2015_character_animator.pdf

I have a lot of Character stuff coming up so looks like it's coming at a good time but I was eyeing up this too...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/duik-15--2

Cheers

Liam

why not just animate in c4d? and then just luminance materials with the textures.

you get 100% real 3d, with real 3d camera. so you can layer things up, but they still look 2d if the camera is still.

and it has a pretty good rigging toolset already there, with lots of learning resources.

I haven't looked into it in too much detail, but the fact the only way back into AE is via image sequences sounds like a show stopper for me.

DUIK is quite a different thing. It's a script UI Panel that assists in the rigging of IK characters, amongst other things. Compared to 3D or 2D software tools designed for native character animation, it's quite a cumbersome workflow. But if you have the patience and skill, you can achieve some quite nice results, and you get to keep everything in After Effects with all it's other tools, integration and whatnot. There are other IK rigging scripts for AE but DUIK is the most full-featured.

Edited by kitkats

But if you have the patience and skill, you can achieve some quite nice results, and you get to keep everything in After Effects...

Yup, just look at what Fraser Davidson can do. There are a plethora of other animators that work wonders doing character animation in AE.

*edit- I meant without the need for 3D or this character animator tool for that matter.

Edited by oeuf

Gimmick.

I don't understand what Adobe is hoping to accomplish with this. It doesn't appear to serve their core market. I don't know maybe they envision people bringing rigged models in from C4D or something and using the face recognition thing to get more accurate results than what was shown in the demos. Sort of feels like a "we think this is really cool but we don't know exactly what people will do with it yet... but we're introducing it anyway."

Sort of reminds me of Puppet Warp in its early incarnations (in Photoshop). Although possibly not as counterintuitive to use as Puppet Warp. Main point being though it was sort of a technology demonstrator feature more than something lots of people were asking for.

Edited by Zmotive

In the long term this opens up some possibilities, but I agree, the lack of any useful integration is a show stopper for now. As I wrote back then here on this forum when it was demoed on MAX this should replace features like Motion Sketch and complement/ replace others like the Puppet tool.

Mylenium

Cool, thanks for all of the responses.

C4D would be great but its not a strength of mine and everything is to be 2D.

I haven't looked into it in too much detail, but the fact the only way back into AE is via image sequences sounds like a show stopper for me

Ah thanks, i did miss this part.

just look at what Fraser Davidson can do.

Been looking at some of his work over the weekend and awesome! Some great things being done!

Sort of reminds me of Puppet Warp in its early incarnations (in Photoshop). Although possibly not as counterintuitive to use as Puppet Warp. Main point being though it was sort of a technology demonstrator feature more than something lots of people were asking for.

This is also very interesting. I was a little shocked to see AE revealing something like this.

I have been looking more into Duik and I think with the new release of 15 it's going to be a very interesting script. I think it's have a major over haul, no UI and a ton more options. Should hopefully be out in the next few months. Fingers crossed but version 14 will still do the trick.