Sign in to follow this  
kurtrofl

Need A New Workstation, Thoughts?

Hi guys, so for the past few years I've been struggling with a shitty old AMD PC setup and finally have money rolling in. I'm currently working on projects that require AE, C4D, and especially Octane. (This setup will be primarily an Octane rig).

I've been doing a ton of research but have never actually built a PC before, so I'm definitely going to need some help. Below is the current rig I was thinking of, but am totally open for other suggestions.

PROCESSOR

Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU COOLING

Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler

MOBO

Asus Rampage V EXT/ U3.1 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

MEMORY

x2 G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

STORAGE

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive --- Cache

Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive --- Boot

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive --- Project files

GPU

x4 EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (4-Way SLI)

CASE

Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Full Tower Case

POWER SUPPLY

Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

TOTAL

$7450.51

Thanks!!

You could prob save a little loot by getting the Titan's ugly step-sister the 980 Ti, although I believe they only come in 6gb flavors. Not sure, I haven't been keeping up in the tech front.

Also, you may want to consider not filling up all the memory slots with smaller sticks of memory, should you want to get more memory in the future, you'll have to buy all new sticks, rather than just adding.

Building a PC is pretty straight forward, just go slow, and don't be jamming shit in with force. You'll be fine.

A nice sense of accomplishment will wash over you when you first boot it up and it goes to the desktop...

and that will be yanked from you when you get your first blue screen...

I'm kidding, you'll be ok ;)

The Octane rigs I built a few months ago is basically what you have here. The boot drive is a little small, but probably ok for awhile. I went with the Asus WS-E mobo, 500GB SSD boot, Corsair 780T case and Titan Blacks/Zs. If you can wait until the 980TIs are out, that would save almost half for about the same performance. I have only once needed more ram than the 6GB have on the "old" Titans.

Check youtube and ask your friends for help with the actual building.

Oh and don't forget $100ish for Windows (I did 8.1). Octane also doesn't care for SLI, so don't worry about the bridge.

Edited by jblessing

To me, the advantage of building yourself is you're not scared of the box afterwards, so if things need swapping or replacing you're not afraid to get your hands dirty. But I believe in building a piece of crap as your first machine, to get all your mistakes out of the way.

If it's your first, for such a good machine I'd get a builder to build it. It doesn't need to be Boxx, just someone who takes pride in their work, so it's all neat and tidy inside. Don't know about NYC, but in the UK it would be £100-150.

But if you insist on doing it yourself, plan the wiring, then plan again.

There's a woodworking phrase 'measure twice, cut once'.

Sup assholes.

Talking about overpriced, Boxxtech 6-core config 500GB SSD: $5107

BYO: $1.965,84 That's right. You can buy 2,5 times the hardware.

I'd say there's only one 'manufacturer' deserving the 'overpriced' moniker.

while that build does make me jealous, i feel like its overkill...

id just build for 2-3k max and then spend the rest on render farms... but thats just me, if you got money to burn go for it :D

Build your own, it's not that hard. You pretty much just plug everything in.

Is that ram 32gb or 64gb? If you've got money to burn, get closer to 128 or 196.

I think 4 of those titans is overkill too. It's not like you're going to see 4x the speed of 1 titan. With each additonal card it marginally increases some stuff and/or can power your main viewport, while the Vray RT window, or whatever renderer you're using, updates.

That is very expensive. Our PC builds cost us roughly 3K and rock pretty well in terms of AE c4D, but we don't have titans in them, I guess it depends on what you need.

What's the setup you have? Have you posted it on here before? 3K sounds good to me :)

http://www.mattfrodsham.com/octane/

Pretty sweet octane rig.

This looks sick! Nice Setup too!

Specs here

Mid Tower Antec P280 / i7-5820K 6 cores @ 3,3 Ghz/ Asus X99-A /

RAM 4x8=32 GB Crucial 2133 Mhz / Intel Liquid cooling /1 X SSD 240
Sandisk Extreme Pro / Asus DVD RW/GTX 980/ PSU 660 Watts
We're not using Octane so the single GTX gets the job done.
We get them built for us and in that 3K is a 3 year warranty where they repair them for us same day if anything breaks.
I priced it out at one point and I think it's about 500$ more than just building same specs yourself but for me the time saving plus warranty is worth it, way more affordable than what a place like BOXX charges for their builds.

If any of youz guyz start using Windows 10 on a new workstation, I'd be interested to know your thoughts. Windows 8 UI was a piece of crap IMO (I liked Windows 7 a lot more), but I hear MS is making the UI better in 10. That and hopefully some further performance and security improvements. One reason I don't ever move to Windows is the fact that every virus / trojan on the face of the earth is designed for it, and a constant stream of adware and malware you have to protect against if you are connected to the internet. And thus POS anti-virus apps like Norton and others, bogging down your system performance.

Is there a chance in hell Windows 10 will have built-in security levels better than prior releases where just having a standard internet connection for downloading from known developers and sending email won't require the constant running of anti-virus software, etc?

Zmotive we moved to PC about a year ago and all our workstations are running Win 7, and we're just using the built in windows defender for antivirus and it works fantastic. No virus's popups or other malware problems. I actually much prefer the networking and interface of Win 7 with add ons like Clover and direct folders to OS X even after using a Mac as my workstation for the past ten years.

Anyhow the PCs with Win7 have been just as solid and reliable as any of our Macs were, for what it's worth.

http://www.mattfrodsham.com/octane/

Pretty sweet octane rig.

Hey look, that's me!

I think 4 of those titans is overkill too. It's not like you're going to see 4x the speed of 1 titan. With each additonal card it marginally increases some stuff and/or can power your main viewport, while the Vray RT window, or whatever renderer you're using, updates.

For the record, incase anyone didn't know... with Octane that's absolutely what you get. 4 Titans is almost exactly 4x as fast as 1 Titan. Simple as that. The RAM doesn't add (the scene has to fit on the RAM of each card simultaneously), but the cores do...

Zmotive we moved to PC about a year ago and all our workstations are running Win 7, and we're just using the built in windows defender for antivirus and it works fantastic. No virus's popups or other malware problems. I actually much prefer the networking and interface of Win 7 with add ons like Clover and direct folders to OS X even after using a Mac as my workstation for the past ten years.

Anyhow the PCs with Win7 have been just as solid and reliable as any of our Macs were, for what it's worth.

Both surprising and interesting. I don't imagine Windows 10 would be any less secure than Windows 7. Will be one more reason to give it a go if devs don't start rocking the OS X optimizations over the next 12 months. Octane 3 for Mac holds a lot of promise in that regard so will likely try that first and see how it impacts overall C4D workflow efficiency.

Edited by Zmotive

Specs here

Mid Tower Antec P280 / i7-5820K 6 cores @ 3,3 Ghz/ Asus X99-A /

RAM 4x8=32 GB Crucial 2133 Mhz / Intel Liquid cooling /1 X SSD 240
Sandisk Extreme Pro / Asus DVD RW/GTX 980/ PSU 660 Watts
We're not using Octane so the single GTX gets the job done.

Awesome, thanks for this. Yeah I like the idea of getting one built too. So affordable and a good machine. I don't really just C4D that heavily more of an AE user so this looks great. Thanks again!

What do you guys think about this guy? thinking about buying it for 800$ from someone.

Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard
Intel Core i7 3930k Six Core CPU @ 3.2Ghz (easily overclocks to 4.0Ghz+)
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling
Antec Twelve Hundred Case
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) Quad Channel DDR3 2133 RAM
eVGA Nvidia GTX 560 GPU
Corsair TX750W Power Supply
Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD
Dual Noctua Case Fans
LG UH12NS29 Blu Ray Rewriter
Rosewill USB 3.0 Media Card Reader
Windows 8.1

gtx 560? that seems a bit old?

ok and checked the cpu thats from 2011.

i think $800 is a bit steep for that... im guessing thats a used pc.

It's good stuff in it, don't get me wrong, but i feel for $800 you could build a similar performing brand new computer.

just go to newegg.com

[edit]: http://cbscores.com/seems to be getting pretty good scores. Dunno, maybe its a good deal... Look like a pretty powerful cpu.

Edited by vozzz

Built this fairly recently (last 3 months) as I transitioned to freelance. I am currently only doing a lot of realtime 3D stuff, so it's not getting the same usage, but it seems to work great when I use it in C4D/AE. Was using a nMP at work and an i7 iMac at home.

Total cost was just under $1800

CASE - Corsair Air 240 (kept it real small)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139044

MOBO- Asus X99M Killer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139044

CPU - i7 5820K - 6 core

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117402

OS HDD - Crucial MX200 500GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148949

HDD - WE Purple 4TB (mainly work off a fileserver I built, nothing crazy fast but 24TB)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236659

RAM- 4x8GB GSKILL RIpjaws PC4-19200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231826

GPU - Zotac GTX970 (is now a Gigabyte i believe, it broke when we moved)

https://secure.newegg.com/NewMyAccount/OrderHistory.aspx?RandomID=1756676888821720150708174041

PSU - Corsair CX500M

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139050

CPU Fan- Noctua NH-D9L

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608068

Thinking about buying an old Quadro 4000/5000 for my realtime work, or convincing the company I'm contracting for to loan me a M6000. Same or less CUDA cores though.

Edited by tjoynt

Built my own including a 4k monitor for around $4k. Here's the PC Partpicker list. I've been able to overclock the chip to 4.3Ghz without much effort and it screams! PSU has room to run another video card in case you want to do heavy GPGPU rendering.

BOOT - 2 x 250GB Evo 850 in RAID-0

WORK - 2 x 500GB Evo 850 in RAID-0

BACKUP - 2 x 4TB WD Red in RAID-1, external enclosure

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/t834Vn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/t834Vn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($382.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($93.04 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminum High-Grade 1.5g Thermal Paste ($6.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($254.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.95 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.95 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($679.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case ($99.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: LEPA MaxBron 1000W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120mm Fan ($21.20 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell P2715Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($549.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei RAW Wired Laser Mouse ($48.99)
Other: Microphone Pop/Wind Filter ($18.00)
Other: Akitio NT2-U3e Dual Bay Dual Interface Storage Enclosure ($49.99)
Other: Blue Yeti Microphone (blackout) ($129.00)
Other: KUL ES-87 Tenkeyless Smoke/White KBD (Cherry MX Brown) ($139.99)
Total: $3762.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-27 18:08 EDT-0400

The big advantage of pc over latest generation mac pro is the option to have 2 processors on the same motherboard. E5 2699 V3 is a 16 core 32 threads, multiplied by two is gonna give you a monster for C4D.

MacPros have the same processing architecture, but you can only put one processor. I7`s, I see them more for hobby/home use rather than heavy lifting, delivery production pipeline.

If this is a c4d setup, I would focus on getting the latest fastest processor available, and worry about hard drives and the rest latter.

my2c

You would be ill-advised buying a E5 2699 V3. That's a slow-ass CPU for a lot of money. I'm not sure why you would recommend that. Not to sound like an asshole but that almost makes you seem like you actually don't own it and/or know what you're talking about.

The same goes for the i7 comment: for all intents and purposes i7's are mostly identical to Xeon's.

As for the rest of the build:

-medium number of local cores (6-8)

-overclock without worries

-offload your renders to nodes

-SSD's make your life better

-don't get carried away buying the most expensive GPU

€1500 should buy you the system.

Extra nodes should not cost you more than €700 a piece. 1 E5 2699 V3 should buy you 6 rendernodes.