Sign in to follow this  
Todd Kopriva

After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) is available.

I'm getting out of memory errors on a file that worked just fine in 2014. It is an Illustrator file that is causing the issue. (A very simple one at that)...however, it is a 3D layer and the camera flies through it. So I'm guessing it's something to do with the rasterization of that asset. Annoying none-the-less.

Attempting to re-open the file in 2014 even though I've saved it as a 2015 version now.

... out of memory errors on a file that worked just fine in 2014 ...

We're using more RAM in the new architecture, so I'd expect to see some additional messages about inadequate memory on systems with low RAM that didn't occur in the previous version.

2015 seems to have fixed the "doesn't play the first second of RAM preview the first time" bug when using Yosemite.

That bug was introduced by Mac OSX v10.10 (Yosemite), which made some new and incorrect assumptions about how applications play frames. We already had the whole application open on the operating table for the interactive performance work, so we were able to get this workaround in place while we were at it.

We're using more RAM in the new architecture, so I'd expect to see some additional messages about inadequate memory on systems with low RAM that didn't occur in the previous version.

So is 32 GB not sufficient anymore??

This is a very simple scene... And since the 2015 install wiped out my 2014 media encoder (no apparent choice to save that one from being wiped as it is part of the AE install) I now have to take an intermediate step of rendering to ProRes from 2014, then bring into media encoder to re-encode to the proper formats.

If this new architecture won't work on 32 GB then it is effectively wiping out a large percentage of users who are on iMacs. Nearly every agency I go to is using iMacs as their workstations.

Not complaining...just need to know what we're up against here.

It appears to have something to do with continuous rasterization of an AI file. If I uncheck the continuous rasterize tick box, the error goes away inside After Effects while doing a ram preview...however I'm still getting a failed render in media encoder.

The error log says "unkown error"

This is why I need to be on AE Beta. hint, hint.

Sorry to dilute your announcement thread. If there is another place I can take this, please point me in that direction.

Edited by interactiveBoy

So is 32 GB not sufficient anymore??

That should be plenty. If you're getting out-of-memory errors with that much RAM, then you're hitting a different issue.

If you want help troubleshooting, then I recommend coming to the After Effects forum at forums.adobe.com, where there are plenty of Adobe folks who can help. (We don't all come to mograph.net.)

And since the 2015 install wiped out my 2014 media encoder (no apparent choice to save that one from being wiped as it is part of the AE install)

You should keep the old versions installed by deselecting the "Remove Old Versions" option when installing. If it's too late for that, then re-install the old versions, which is simple to do through the Creative Cloud desktop application:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/06/keeping-previous-versions-installed-when-installing-cc-2015-applications.html

Yeah thanks Todd. I kept my 2014 AE intact...but apparently missed that on the media encoder. This will get me back in business for now.

I'm thinking the issue I'm having with this file in 2015 is the continuous rasterization of an AI file that is being used as a 3D layer. I fly the camera through it, which means it is creating a monstrous pixel resolution on the fly. I remember this being a problem in an earlier 2014 version, but it eventually got addressed. Hoping this can be addressed quickly with 2015's new architecture as this is a workflow I use a lot. (Vector art from AI brought in and turned into 3D layers)

Sorry for dilluting your thread. I'll take this to the Adobe forum.