Sign in to follow this  
Kesse

Huge scene render optimization.

Hi there. I am working on huge project with massives comps. I trying to find way to optimize renders for it.

Every time I output (jpeg seq) Full res/Half Res/ Third Res, the RAM hit the roof with only one BG renderer going while the processors are at 5/15%

Any cues?

Specs

PC Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v3@2.30GHz, 10 Core, 20 Logical processors

64 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro K5200

AE Scene

7700 x 10 200

AE setup

Rendering Localy

Disk cache enabled 70GB

Ram for other App 4GB

Render Multiple frames Simultanously OFF

That resolution is just gigantic and that's not even considering what you have going on in your Comps. I'm not surprised your memory is getting taxed.

What kind of animation/effects do you have going on?

Perhaps pre-rendering some layers within the comp would help?

When you're rendering at the lower resolutions are you setting it in the Render Settings or the Output module?

Do your renders actually finish? Or does it fail with an error?

Edited by oeuf

They is a lot of stuff in it. Mostly lyers made out of a mix of PNG illustration, PNG Renders, EXR renders.

Not much of crazy effects, a bid part of it is compositing: some gaussian blur, hue, levels, drop shadows.

Some time remap, Some trapcode. We prerender as much as possible.

Render 1/2 res output module goes throught, we're currently looking for a clever way to script split the main comp for quicker renders..

I'm looking for a way to make sure I use all cpus available while background rendering, and to improve system stability.

Sounds like you might need to fiddle with your "Render multiple frames simultaneously" settings. I can't remember best practice with this and I tend to leave it alone, but IIRC you can set AE to allocate RAM per CPU. 20 CPUS you could allocate 3 GB per core. Have a read up about optimisation but I think this will help you here.

You may need to leave some CPUs / RAM for the system to actually run.

Edited by hello.ahay

I had a bunch of ultra-wide multi-screen setups I did that were 20,000 x 768 and with those I found splitting stuff up into shorter frame runs (1-100, 101-200, etc) and using multiple instances of the BG render script without multiprocessing made the most efficient use of my systems (24 thread, 96gb ram and 16 threads, 64gb ram). When you have these super size comps loading it into the multi-processing background just ate up a ton of resources, to get it to actually use multi-processing I had to leave 1/2 the ram available for system and bring it down to just 4-6 threads.

Edited by scofield

Sounds like you might need to fiddle with your "Render multiple frames simultaneously" settings. I can't remember best practice with this and I tend to leave it alone, but IIRC you can set AE to allocate RAM per CPU. 20 CPUS you could allocate 3 GB per core.

For huge resolutions i wouldn't recommend to use the "Render multiple frames simultaneously" option because the render processes will most likely starve on RAM and your rendering will grind to a hault. Render image sequences with multiple BG Render instances instead and keep an eye on the RAM usage to find out how many you can use without choking your machine.