Sign in to follow this  
jcrash

Hackintosh, PC, or stick w/ Mac?

Hey, indecision? I can out-Hamlet you there: I started looking into this in 2013, got a bid and shelved it. Looked again in 2014, got a bid, shelved it. Not surprisingly, that vendor no longer returns my emails.

But this time I'm pulling the trigger. I remember waiting on rumors of this and that, but I'm keeping my FOMO in check and diving in. I'll be going a little lighter than your setup, definitely not so many SSDs. The main thing is, NVIDIA, because of Octane.

@jcrash, there are LOTS of ways to make windows like like OSX. :)

this is just a quick google:

also with seer, you now pretty much have the whole quickview thing in windows. :)

edit: also in the same boat with new hardware. always takes forever to pick stuff out. last time just picked the 4790k because i just needed a second workstation to handle 3 jobs in parallel.. and i prefer viewport speed, since i can send stuff to the farm to render.

but right now want to build a new computer, and teh 6700k doesn't seem like much of a step up. and im not really keen on stepping down my single core speed... so hopefully new lines of i7's will be announced with clockspeeds approach 4ghz and atleast 6 cores..

i wish they did dual i7 motherboards.. then i could have 8 cores at 4ghz.. would be perfect.

Edited by vozzz

I love this thread and the others that discuss this. I'm in same boat.

Mac for life, prob going to PC (run bootcamp for games and have done work but not 24/7).

That quickview solution and things like that are the tiny little details that help. Stoked on Octane, stoked on power, speed and price, not stoked on Apple.

I don't wear watches.

Was wondering about this win10 push for summer 2017, where supposedly old OS will lose support. Is that something to care about, or will soft just run fine in 10 by then?

And yeah, the hardware stuff dizzys the mind.

I genuinely wouldn't know what to suggest anymore... We've had a massive ballache on our last project, loads of 4k footage with tracking, keying etc and our 2012 Mac Pros are struggling really badly. The RAM preview issue doesn't help at all. I'm reluctant to spend a couple of grand on new bits for them (new CPU, more RAM, new GFX card) if it's not really going to resolve the issue. For the money I could build a PC, overclock it and have some more stability in my life.

Does the RAM preview issue happen on Windows? I've generally felt that AE CC14 and CC15 have been buggy as feck on Yosemite/El Capitan. Are Apple going out of favour with Adobe? I know that Adobe partnered with Nvidia a lot in the past, and Apple don't get on with Nvidia that well, so there were some sticking points down the line.

Edited by hello.ahay

I've tried to build a Hackintosh last year, that mode didn't last long as it wasn't as stable and audio support randomly stopped working. So been PC since. I have also had issues with AE CC15. Previewing is awful now in general, the active timeline thing is annoying and it needing to play audio every frame as it caches is pointless and also annoying. There is a slight work around, in preferences you can set it to not play preview unless it's full fps. Unfortunately that doesn't show the frame by frame caching tho.

Other than that I did have the preview not show accurate key framing animation results. So I went back to 14. 15 did have a big update so might give it another shot.

Here's my spec, a few hours before I start pulling the trigger:

CPU: i7 4900k

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe ATX

GPU: GeForce 980 Ti

Then DDR 3-1866 memory, 1000w power supply, Phanteks case, liquid CPU cooler, 2 512gb SSDs and a 3TB HDD.

I explored exotic options like PCIe SSDs (wish those were possible) and SSD raids. They introduce complications beyond what I think my builder and I can surmount. Also, for now, if it's a Hackintosh, it stays a generation behind. The i7 6700 isn't working yet, nor are X99 boards.

Govinda, I'd be selective on the 3TB HDD. I read on petapixel that there's a class action lawsuit forming against Seagate due to unreliability of their drives, particularly 3TB Barracudas. I've purchased five of them myself over the past year, and all but one of them seem to be slow as heck (but not unreliable so far). I've typically been a Seagate customer but may have to look elsewhere. Obviously all hard drives have a MTBF, but if someone is clearly lagging behind...

Cf

So hey, I finally pulled the trigger Black Friday 2016. Thought I'd update y'all. I got a custom build that had an overclocked 6960x 10 cores to 4.3GHz 2x GTX 1080s, 128 GB Ram, like 4 SSDs and 3 HDs. It's water cooled and a beast. I had some issues with the radiator fans at first and with updates w/ WHEA Error code thing that was related to the overclock. That's since been repaired and adjusted (right out the box!). So I've had some ups and downs with it.

Overall it's a good build and I'm happy I made the switch finally. Octane is great with the GTX 1080s. AE doesn't use them for Raytracing, but Raytracing is being phased out anyways. AE 2017 CC using the GPU for hardware acceleration fine (issues w/ 2015). I design/animate on 2017 and save down to 2014 for heavy renders. Medi Encoder is also fine w/ GPU acceleration. I have an SLI but it's not enabled.

If I had to do it all over I maybe would have gone for Kaby Lake w/ Titan X (pascals). In the future, I still might build a straight design/animate box and have this as a beastly render node. I found this spread sheet of AE 2014 (afterwards of course!): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17bb2RuT6UW89yUXcBTOEKHR1IHlTf4cJQOEFsvjvwSQ/edit#gid=0 it's from this article: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-After-Effects-CC-2014-Multi-Core-Performance-716/

Also this one on AE 2015.3 https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-After-Effects-CC-2015-3-Multi-Core-Performance-843/

It really goes into depth on explaining what's CPU is better for what version of AE and how everything changed.

Oh yeah, one last issue. Scaling sucks on Windows 10. I tried 2 different 4K monitors (dual 24"s and a 32") and eventually went w/ a 27" QHD (2k) Dell. Otherwise, Cinema had tiny Icons or was fuzzy, and Element 3D and Optical Flares were pretty much unusable with tiny UI.

Edited by jcrash

Basic, it was rough at first if I'm to be honest. I had to customize a lot to get a similar experience to working on the Mac. PC is very a'la carte and granular. You can control and customize every little bit, but sometimes there are conflicts if you do. That was frustrating to me, because on a Mac it just works and it's very hard to break. Everything kind works together and there's a harmony to the look and feel. Not so on Windows 10. The DPI fix for me w/ monitors was very frustrating. I wanted a big 4k monitor, because I've been working w/ big files. 6k, 9k, 4k etc.... It helps to have a monitor so you can spot check those and see exactly what's going on during playback. But C4D didn't update their UI like they did on the Mac, so I could either have super small icons or a fuzzy UI. It was worse for plug-ins like Element 3D and Optical Flares. The scene set-up UI was tiny and unusable. So I eventually settled on a 2K monitor, which is fine for the most part, but large files are still hard to spot check (like the 9k and 6k).

Once I got past the set-up and troubleshooting phase, it was gold. I'm really pleased with it. It still won't be my favorite thing to design in (it's not drag files onto an app friendly), but for AE and C4D it's tops. It's a lot faster than my Mac was and easier to work w/ intensive plug-ins and stuff. Octane is awesome and great for look dev. Even the physical renderer is pretty snappy. Way shorter render times. My wifi is way stronger than my Mac. There's a great system for backups. Having this many drives under one box been a great organizational tool for me, and I'm not dealing w/ a shit ton of extra wires and externals. I'm rocking 128 GB Ram, so it feels like infinite RAM. Longer and better RAM previews for complicated scenes, make getting it smooth and correct before rendering a snap. I've seen the new Mac rumors and what they are updating the trash can pros to be, looks like a stop gap for the moment. The specs really didn't change. Mac is redesigning the Mac Pro again, but they haven't said when that shit was coming out. It's at least a year away if not more. So if you don't count the minor refresh that was announced (which I don't), it will be something like 5-6 years between legit Mac Pro updates (from 2013 to 2018/19). The one good thing that they said they would be more forthcoming with their plans for the pro market, which is good news. From now, I'm good on my PC. I do keep my old Mac Laptop around for when clients send me Mac fonts. I bought TransType 4 and convert them to OTF on my Mac then send 'em over to my PC and now they finally work.

Edited by jcrash