melvyn

Drive advice

Hi.

Can you advise me on my drive setup? The drives I have are:

2x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Sandisk Extreme 120GB
1TB Seagate HDD
My Gigabyte Z77-UD5H only has 2x 6GBs chipset ports and then 4x 3GBs chipset ports. It also has 3x 6GBs Marvell ports. I've read that the Marvell ports are best avoiding?
The set up I was considering is:
6GBs: AE Performance cache - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
6GBs: Project files/footage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
3GBs: Windows/Apps - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
3GBs: Renders/Output - Sandisk Extreme 120GB
3GBs: Archive/storage - 1TB Seagate HDD
Or is there a better configuration than this?
Thanks!

Only you know your storage needs, and I don't know much about manufacturers ports or whatever... but the sizes all seem much too small. My disk cache is 750Gb and I'm emptying it regularly. 256Gb for projects, same for Applications? Pokey.

Unsubstantiated opinion based on observation - a decent drive less than half full is far quicker and more reliable than a super-duper nifty top-spec drive with 90% space taken up.

I think you are breaking down the drives a little too heavily. In general, don't put apps on a separate drive. Games support doing so well, but it can cause problems in other apps. You also don't really need a separate drive for rendering to. It may get you a performance boost when rendering, but only on projects that are too fast in rendering to warrant any desire for a speed increase to begin with.

My personal config is something like:

System / OS / Applications = 256gb SSD

Cache = 512gb SSD

Important File Archive = 2x 1tb as a raid 1

Work & renders = raid 10

Definitely have some type of raid for your work drives. Raid 1 at a minimum, but raid 10 is absolute king for working with media the way we do. 1tb won't get you very far but may be fine depending on what type of work you do.

For archival, I buy used hard drives off ebay. You can find good deals if you search for hard drive 'lots'. Old drives from servers etc. I also burn the project to blu-ray without large media files or uncompressed renders if its too large for disk.

A lot just depends on what type of work you do, and the size of the projects.

Definitely raid, though. If you don't, you are guaranteed to be royally burned at some point.

Only you know your storage needs, and I don't know much about manufacturers ports or whatever... but the sizes all seem much too small. My disk cache is 750Gb and I'm emptying it regularly. 256Gb for projects, same for Applications? Pokey.

Unsubstantiated opinion based on observation - a decent drive less than half full is far quicker and more reliable than a super-duper nifty top-spec drive with 90% space taken up.

I'm gonna buy a 500GB Samsung 850 Pro as well, but I can't afford anything bigger. I think I'll be fine keeping my 1 or 2 current projects on smaller SSDs. I'll try and keep them about 50-30% empty.

I think you are breaking down the drives a little too heavily. In general, don't put apps on a separate drive. Games support doing so well, but it can cause problems in other apps. You also don't really need a separate drive for rendering to. It may get you a performance boost when rendering, but only on projects that are too fast in rendering to warrant any desire for a speed increase to begin with.

My personal config is something like:

System / OS / Applications = 256gb SSD

Cache = 512gb SSD

Important File Archive = 2x 1tb as a raid 1

Work & renders = raid 10

Definitely have some type of raid for your work drives. Raid 1 at a minimum, but raid 10 is absolute king for working with media the way we do. 1tb won't get you very far but may be fine depending on what type of work you do.

For archival, I buy used hard drives off ebay. You can find good deals if you search for hard drive 'lots'. Old drives from servers etc. I also burn the project to blu-ray without large media files or uncompressed renders if its too large for disk.

A lot just depends on what type of work you do, and the size of the projects.

Definitely raid, though. If you don't, you are guaranteed to be royally burned at some point.

My apps and OS are one drive.

I thought it was a good idea to have project files and renders on separate drives?

Thanks!

you can quickly share files with people. it syncs to all your other computers constantly. so if my main computer dies, i can pull out my laptop and keep working without missing a beat.

also if you are not at your computer, and your client emails you with a request for a file, you can find it through your phone ( drop box app) and send them a link.

dunno, never used carbonite, so can't say.

Binky - is a cache SSD that good/useful/noticeable? I always have a pang of guilt setting the media cache folder in AE to the OS drive..

On the note of SSDs - Apple and others do PCI-e x16 SSDs now, and they're likely raidable stripe 0 to give you scary fast xfer speeds. For laptops, you can get laptops with 3 M2 SSD slots which raided are something like 1gfps or something ridiculous.

I'm weighing up laptops at the moment - narrowed it to the MSI WS60, the Dell XPS 15 and the ubiquitous MBP. Despite the macbook using onboard/AMD graphics its read/write speeds are the fastest of any laptop. Something to do with having welded their proprietary components to the mainboard. wankers. i digress.

i got a gs60. love it. Though if youre doing something processor intensive you dont want it on your lap :)

are you sure you want one with quadro? c4d and octane prefer gtx cards as far as i know.

Binky - is a cache SSD that good/useful/noticeable? I always have a pang of guilt setting the media cache folder in AE to the OS drive..

I am wondering this too.