Sign in to follow this  
CharlieDog

Nvidia GTX 980ti and MacPro - advice please.

Hello everyone. New member here (long time lurker). I’m a graphic designer and animator.

For my video work I use a mix of C4D, After Effects and Final Cut Pro X. I run a 12 core 2010 MacPro and I’m looking to upgrade the GPU to an Nvidia GTX 980ti. I want to use Thea renderer with C4D.

Does anyone here have experience of using the 980ti in a Mac - specifically with Final Cut Pro X? I’ve spoken to Create.pro and I understand that the Nvidia cards are slightly slower with FCPX - and I’m fine with that, however I don’t want to spend £800 or so on the GPU and then discover my workflow is now a nightmare. I’ve done some google searches on the subject but it all starts to get a bit technical (I’m a simple chap) and I’m not looking to turn this into a ‘project’ - if you know what I mean.

Any experiences/advice (other than "buy a PC") much appreciated.

Cheers

Dougie

Running a GTX 970 on a hackintosh. The last time running a "PC card" in a proper Mac Pro a couple of years ago, I remember you lose the EFI boot (when you hold down option to switch OS's) so if you need that frequently best to keep your current card in there as well.

Had to upgrade to Yosemite (10.10) and install the Nvidia web drivers to get the 9xx series working. Looks like they just release 10.11 drivers as well.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/173246-nvidia-releases-alternate-graphics-drivers-os-x-10-11-0-346-03-02-a.html

Can't comment on running a 980ti on Mac Pro but might be able to find others who have or haven't had issues. Initial post seems a bit older so I don't think I'd necessarily take their advice about buying a 7xx series over a 9xx unless there are major compatibility problems w/ your model. Better to look in the comments for other users:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-about-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

Edited by superegophobia

the only hiccup that I could see is that the 980ti pulls the 250w, which is a little more than the mac pro is designed to handle for a single slot. So if you're really putting a heavy load on the card you might get the occasional auto reboot. I ran a gtx780 (which also draws 250w) and would occasionally get the unwanted reboots. The system was definitely usable and 95% reliable, but that 5% could be a real bummer. I switched to the standard 980 (which draws around 160w) and haven't really had that problem since. Granted, the standard 980 isn't as fast as the ti, but its just something to keep in mind.

superegophobia, thanks for your reply. I'll read up on the links you posted later.

ianfreeze, thanks for the info. I'll look at the lower wattage card you mention. I think the deal breaker for me is reliability over speed.

Cheers.