Sign in to follow this  
BillD²²²

dual quadro k5000 seems pretty slow w Octane

Hi,

For primarily Octane rendering, I just installed two Nvidia Quadro k5000 gfx cards into our Mac Pro (Early 2009).
The performance seems really really slugish for two high-end cards and seems to be on par with the one card GTX580 that I just removed.

Is this normal??
The render times seem like 5x as long for a single frame vs my PC at home with very inexpensive average dual GTX660s (2 gigs mem each).

We are on Yosemite
I have CUDA Driver Version: 7.5.20
NVIDIA Web Driver: 346.02.03f01 (Up to date)

Anyone have any ideas, or is this just what you get with dual K5000s??
I guess my main question is, if anyone has a similar setup, is my machine just too old to handle TWO K5000 Quadros?? icon_neutral.gif

Edited by BillD²²²

Why would you put in dual k5000s?

A single 980ti has about the same # of cores. Check the Octane forums for advice on what would best fit a 2009 mac pro. I'm guessing dual 980ti's with additional power are the fastest option for MPs.

The k5000 are well behind the current generation of gaming cards in every respect. This has nothing to do with the performance of your system outside of the graphics cards - they're just outdated.

a lesson we all learn the hard way. Even if something seems obvious, google that shit before putting out any money :) or ask on forums.

although this seems particularily expensive... if the place takes returns id send em back and get some GTX cards.

Maya viewport apparantly benefits from quadro's, but c4d and its plugins are all about the GTX.

Thanks for the replies.
So what I feared, the cards are just shite for Octane.
We didnt buy these cards specifically for Octane, they were just sitting in a rarely used machine, and I was hoping to get a boost by switching out my solo card for two of these super pricey cards, but it seems to be almost exactly the same performance.

Okay I guess I will see ifthey will spring for a 980ti.