Sign in to follow this  
_gl

6 core vs 12

I am seriously considering building a desktop for post work (Pst! Don't tell my macs!) unless I cave and find a clean Mac Pro 5,1 12 core.

What I am not sure of is the value of 12 core vs 6 core for C4D and AE? Assuming I will jump into Octane, when do we hit diminishing returns on the Xeon setup?

I will be running Win 7 Pro btw (Really not sure about 10 and 8 is the devil)

-gl

higher per core speed, is beneficial to viewport handling in c4d. because viewport only uses 1 core.

multi core is better for rendering, because rendering takes advantage of multi threading and hence all cores.

Octane doesnt use CPU so you might as well get the 6 core with a higher per core speed. or maybe even a quad core. ( if it was a higher clock speed).

and spend the extra money on GPU's for octane.

What vozzz already said. If your focus is interactive work performance, less cores and a higher per-core efficiency are more critical. In fact a core7i would be even more efficient than any Xeon. Multicore CPUs really only make sense for programs that actually use those extra cores and that mostly excludes/ precludes C4D and AE at this point. I'd perhaps consider it for running sims in Maya, RealFlow or Houdini as well as using Nuke, but not otherwise.

Mylenium

Got it. Thanks.

How about ram? I had heard a target of 2-3 gigs/core for AE in the past. Is this still true? I am also planning to go with the best Nvidia GTX I can afford. I assume that will be best for all the above.

-gl

If you are building from scratch, the motherboard you choose is very important for Octane.

You'll want as many PCI slots as possible for video cards. Look at 3 as the minimum.

Octane licences are counted per computer, so adding a second and third video card can double and triple your rendering power with no additional software costs.

RAM usage in AE is seriously overrated. Many effects have their own internal limits that will run out long before running out of RAM and the usual generic limitations with effects and CoDecs not doing this and that apply. There will still be enough scenarios where many cores will sit on their hands and thus not use any RAM, either. There's also a ton of issues/ bugs e.g. with Raw handling, but those are not genuine memory shortages. That and of course current versions of AE don't have the MP rendering stuff, so I'd consider it a moot point. You could put "just" 16GB in your machine and never know a difference compared to 32GB in many scenarios. The only driving factor would be that obscene insanity of going ever larger with 4k and beyond and using HDR/ float color spaces. Either way, get whatever you can squeeze in technically and financially, just do not forget that lots of RAM produce lots of heat in addition to your graphics cards and other components, so not maxing out those 128 GB your motherboard can handle would still be kinda smart. Personally I don't see many scenarios that require more than 32GB, but people tend to do the craziest stuff sometimes...

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

You'll want as many PCI slots as possible for video cards. Look at 3 as the minimum.

You can have slots as much as you want, but they need to be on separate buses.

Mylenium

You could put "just" 16GB in your machine and never know a difference compared to 32GB in many scenarios.

Depends on what sort of work you're doing. When I'm animating, my AE shots routinely eat up 20gb+ while rendering.