Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

Building your own PC system

Ah, thank you so much for doing this. I'm just going through and trying to figure out my build now. Do have any advice for us that are building more After Effect orientated systems? Does it differ from a more C4D based system? I'm about 80% AE 20% C4D right now. My specific question is in regards to CPU. Is AE as single-threaded and concerned with frequency as C4D? I'm debating on 6700k vs. 5960x. I'm concerned with viewport performance/ ram preview, but also need a render beast.

Thanks man! Glad you liked it

I know you are going to want to get as much ram as you can.

I know CC2015 changed the requirements for cpu/ram ratio. there used to be like 4gb per core. but now that it uses a different approach that is no longer the case.

Also if you are dealing with video footage and pre-rendered contents SSD's are gonna be much more useful to you. since it'll be able to load and play footage faster.

Maybe get the 6700k. and then buy a used hp Z800 from ebay. for like 900USD you can get a dual x5650, great as a render node. apparantly very quiet too.

So after a bunch more research and asking around I came up with a few options. If you don't mind can I post in this thread? (otherwise I'm happy to start a new one).

This is the build I came up with for Skylake. I have healthy budget for this. Please let me know what you think: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GHHZMp

My alternate options was a slightly more expensive E5 Build that's a RAM monster: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fPKrkL

Or a crazy budget breaking dual E5 that might be overkill, but a bit more future proof: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H4tZMp

My day to day is a 2.6 Ghz i7 Macbook Pro w/ 16 GB RAM, so pretty much anything will be an improvement.

ofcourse post here. :)

but damn man.. whats with all the SSD?

ofcourse with raid and all those SSD's your footage gonna load really fast, so maybe you need that.

if you really have too much money to burn then go for your top config.

But in my opinion you get diminishing returns after spending 2-3k on a computer.

re:case: my corsair 500R is great, but i did want the C70. the reviews everywhere where less than stunning though. With the money you're throwing at this, why not get something more extravagant? like this:

or one of the corsair obsidian cases? like the 900D?

Anyway, i honestly don't think you cant go wrong there. the dual xeons might be a bit slower in viewport, but for rendering, caching etc they will blow away the i7. So depending on what kind of work you planning on doing. if you're gonna use octane for rendering than the GPU's should take care of that, so maybe go for i7. however if you use Thea render, its gonna fly! because it uses both CPU and GPU when you render. so in that case maybe dual xeons are a good idea. A single xeon i think would be a bad idea.

over here: http://cbscores.com/

you can see someone clocking the 6 core i7 5690X to 4.5Ghz. So if you are into experimenting with that. I think that would be the best option for the money in a single system.

or maybe this one:

there are lots of awesome cases out there. I would spend some more time looking for something to match all the awesome stuff you put inside :D

or this:

they seem to really like this one.

I recently built a new dual Xeon system with the Enthoo Pro case. It's a really nice case, certainly for the price. Quite big but it was actually one of the few cases that would fit the enormous motherboard needed for the dual Xeon's. Basically I built it based on this article: http://www.techspot.com/review/1155-affordable-dual-xeon-pc/

I can't say I truly needed the power of dual Xeon's but I like building systems and it seemed like a fun project, especially for the money. The Xeon's cost me about $60 each on Ebay :) And 64 GB of DDR3 server RAM from Ebay for another $150 or so. The most expensive parts were the motherboard, the power supply (though I went for a cheaper one than the one in the article) and the coolers (again I used a slightly cheaper version than the one in the article), but the whole build came in at well under $1000 (though that's without the GPU).

I built my own machine about 6 months ago, blows anything I've used before out of the water, with plenty of headroom to upgrade:

Case: Black NZXT H440 - £80

CPU: Intel 5820k - £290

Cooler: H100i GTX - £77

Mobo: Asus X99 Pro - £128

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - £83

PSU: XFX XTR Series 850W - £80

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 - £210

Boot: 128GB Sandisk SSD - £40

Cache: 64GB M4 SSD

Projects: 2TB Deskstar

Approx total: £1k

It's worth keeping an eye on some of the testing that the guys at Puget Systems do: https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php

I've found their articles very useful to determine which CPU/GPU combo to go for. For instance now that AE has dropped Render Multiple Frames, you get better performance with a higher frequency CPU. The Xeon's aren't the best options for Premiere or AE any more, and top end GPUs are only getting % increases over some of the lower end ones despite costing a lot more.

Edited by hello.ahay

I built my own machine about 6 months ago, blows anything I've used before out of the water, with plenty of headroom to upgrade:

Case: Black NZXT H440 - £80

CPU: Intel 5820k - £290

Cooler: H100i GTX - £77

Mobo: Asus X99 Pro - £128

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - £83

PSU: XFX XTR Series 850W - £80

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 - £210

Boot: 128GB Sandisk SSD - £40

Cache: 64GB M4 SSD

Projects: 2TB Deskstar

Approx total: £1k

This is along the lines of what I would like to build. Great power and not too expensive.

What is your main work load, AE?

Much different with the SSD for Cache? (Sounds like a silly question I know but i'd be keen to hear)

Working on a slower drive for projects is there much of a bottle neck?

This is along the lines of what I would like to build. Great power and not too expensive.

What is your main work load, AE?

Much different with the SSD for Cache? (Sounds like a silly question I know but i'd be keen to hear)

Working on a slower drive for projects is there much of a bottle neck?

Yes mostly AE, followed by PR then C4D. I have the luxury of a 16 strong render farm at the office for the big renders (2008/2009/2012 Mac Pros).

SSD for Cache seems to work really well, though it's a bit of a background task so I've not found it directly noticeable so to speak. To be honest most of the stuff on the work drive is PSDs, AI files, Pro Res HQ or h264 footage, so nothing too taxing, for that it's fine. However I often render directly to the cache or boot drive then move it to the work drive once it's finished as that's a fair bit quicker.

I work a lot from USB 3 SSD drives as I can take them too and from the office, they're fast enough to use as a project drive and not expensive (you can make a 1TB USB3 drive for about £200).

Edited by hello.ahay

Yes mostly AE, followed by PR then C4D. I have the luxury of a 16 strong render farm at the office for the big renders (2008/2009/2012 Mac Pros).

Cool - it sounds very similar to what I do. A little C4D but nothing my machine can't handle render wise.

SSD for Cache seems to work really well, though it's a bit of a background task so I've not found it directly noticeable so to speak. To be honest most of the stuff on the work drive is PSDs, AI files, Pro Res HQ or h264 footage, so nothing too taxing, for that it's fine. However I often render directly to the cache or boot drive then move it to the work drive once it's finished as that's a fair bit quicker.

Thats fair and again I'm using the same files. Mainly vector for some current projects but I do find rendering to another drive can be quicker.

I work a lot from USB 3 SSD drives as I can take them too and from the office, they're fast enough to use as a project drive and not expensive (you can make a 1TB USB3 drive for about £200).

Nice! I don't own any fast external drives yet but good to know you can work from them! Cheers for this!