Sign in to follow this  
bellographix

Textures in motion graphics

Hi all, first time posting here in a very long time.

I've noticed tons and tons of new animations that have these really cool textures, check out these below,

My question is how do you animate the textures? Is it just an optical illusion that is coming from the texture on the actual graphic and then when placed in after effects it looks like it animates? I don't think that's the case, but I'll ask anyways.

Have you guys noticed this too, I just think it looks really cool, thanks for the responses.

Edited by bellographix

You can see in the first one, that the texture isn't animated, it's just sitting there in the background, probably a black and white image multiplied over a solid color with just a slight vignette, and the animated graphics are run over the top.

The second one is really great, and almost all of its texture comes from actual illustration, which is drawn in layers (probably in photoshop with customized brushes) and then animated over one another. There are a few well-placed usages of 3d, and those brushstroke textures have been applied to the materials of the 3d objects in smart ways. There's also a subtle bit of film grain over the top of the whole thing to help it feel even less computery.

In the third, if you look closely, the animated texture is just a loop of 3 or 4 different textures, or more likely, 1 or 2 that have been flipped, rotated, and/or moved to a few different positions. The loop is the same throughout the entire piece.