Sign in to follow this  
nusferatu

New Computer

hello guys I need a bit of advice regarding the specs of a possible new computer, here is the specs.

I am a motion designer, so lots of render time, also I am learning arnold and x particles ......

Case: CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIESTM 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor : Intel® Xeon® 6-Core E5-2620V3 (2.4GHz, 8.00 GT/s, 15M L3 Cache)
Motherboard: ASUS® X99-A: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory : 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphic card : 12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX TITAN X - DVI, HDMI, 3 X DP
!st HD :1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
2nd HD : 4TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 5900RPM 64MB CACHE
What do you think?
Cheers
Edited by nusferatu

why teh xeon? unless you are getting dual, just get an i7. it will be faster and cheaper.

also if you are putting such hardcore components in your computer, get atleast a corsair 500R case. that 200R thing is tiny... gonna be a lot of heat, poor airflow, and you'd gonna kill yourself trying to fit it all in.

also titan might not fit in there..

i personally prefer faster clock speed on cpu, so faster viewport response and then final renders go to cloud render farm.

with that 2.4ghz your viewport is gonna super slow.

http://ace5studios.com/hardware/

Edited by vozzz

Unless you are GPU rendering and need the vram, there is no need for a Titan X 12GB. A 6GB 980ti will be just as fast in AE/C4D and save you $350.

If you need 8 or less cores, just get an i7. No need for Xeons, and they can't be OC'd as far as i7s.

Get at least 1 SSD (500GB) for your system drive, if not more for footage etc. Get at least 7200 rpm drives unless it is for backups only.

Check out pcpartpicker.com for more feedback on cases, etc.

I agree that a high clock cpu is more important than the number of cores. Something to note, though... Once AE starts using additional cores for rendering, xeons & cpu count will be a concern again.

I'm a total PC noob, but am also treading down this path, somewhat nervous/excited.

Was wondering if there's a good balance available between cores and clock speed?

Also Vozz, could you recommend a good cloud render farm?

Thx

Thank you guys for all the replies!

I will add SSD for the main HD and a nvidia force 980gtx, and instead of gluing for a xeon I will go for a proper i7 with 8 cores, is basycly the same price, but a faster machine.

Microdot, if you are rendering CD4 or any other 3D package you have this guys https://gb.rebusfarm.net/en/they are very nice and cheap, for AE normally I use https://www.rendercore.com, they also render CD4 :)

Cheers

I agree that a high clock cpu is more important than the number of cores. Something to note, though... Once AE starts using additional cores for rendering, xeons & cpu count will be a concern again.

Is there any word on when this will be? I am about to build a new machine and trying to cover most bases.

Curious, do most people still use BG render script?

I know its been around for some time.

I've always maxxed out my cores with it and its bailed me out of some heavy render times,

so I've just always craved the cores as well as the CPU speed.

Is there any word on when this will be? I am about to build a new machine and trying to cover most bases.

I've been waiting for decent multiprocessing to happen in afx for at least 5 years... I wouldn't hold your breath

I've been waiting for decent multiprocessing to happen in afx for at least 5 years... I wouldn't hold your breath

I thought as much but thanks for re-affirming.

Off topic - I have just installed the latest version of 2015 CC and my machine cannot playback a still image at 25fps!!! That was my day wasted yesterday!