Sign in to follow this  
mathagat

Printer for Style Frames

I dug around some and didn't find a recent thread on the topic. Forgive me if there is one and I missed it.

I'm looking for recommendations on a printer that can support at least 11x17 prints for mood boards, style frames, storyboards, etc. Borderless preferred.

Right now I use a larger office copy machine when I need to crank out a dozen or so at a time, at 11x17, but it's not a good quality or borderless. I have a small Canon Pixma ink jet in my edit bay for printing one-off photos/video frames if I need it pretty, but that ink is too pricy for this kind of pre-pro work.

Can be either laser or ink. I need to be able to print out a dozen or so prints a week without breaking the bank on ink. Budget cap is around $1,000.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the number of options out there, so I figured I'd turn to the community of people that do the kind of work I do.

Thanks,

Matt

Assuming you're presenting these styleframes, storyboards, moodboards, etc. for some kind of film or video application (y'know, mograph related), you're really misrepresenting by not presenting on a monitor of some kind. If it's imagery that's going to be executed as print media, then print it, and if it's going to be executed as video media, then show it on a monitor.

I worked with someone in the past, on projects made for tv, who demanded they see everything printed and not only is it inefficient, it logically makes no sense, and just never looks the same as the intended imagery, nor the final imagery. And almost always by way of looking considerably worse. Print is just altogether the wrong medium to present this stuff in and you're doing yourself and your clients a disservice by trying to shoehorn your stuff into the print pipeline for no reason other than probably "that's how we've always done it". You may think you have some unique reason why it has to be this way, but I guarantee you can figure out how to present it as it should be and no one will die in the process. :D

If you have to, spend $1000 on a big beautiful monitor or calibrated TV and show them what they'll ACTUALLY be getting.

I'm not going to argue your points Binky as they are valid, but print outs can help a lot during kick-off/hand-off meetings. I have a Epson Artisan 1430 that's great for that kind of work and I've printed out some roughs for comic book pages as well on 11x17 blue-lined 2-ply bristol. It's pretty sweet and I'm happy with the performance. Inks can get $ as with any printer.