Sign in to follow this  
Todd Kopriva

what's new and changed in After Effects CC 2015 (13.6), available now

Hopefully the cache will work better. I keep having ghost frames with layers that don't even exist in my comp. even after purging all memory , cleaning all cache from my computer and restarting. Really weird.

Anyway, Todd thank you so much for all the good years you spent being so active in the community, talking to users especially on this forum. I don't know where you're heading to, but I wish you the best and again Thank you !!!

Ben

I upgraded to El Capitan yesterday and installed the new AE update. I was unable to get a steady 25fps on any comp. This included a comp with a still frame doing nothing. CC 2014 worked fine under El Capitan so I have reverted back to Yosemite and no issues so far.

This seems to be an issue on my side in terms of OSX. The update actual seems alright. I'll be doing some more testing and will report back anything wrong.

My initial impression running the new update on a Mac Pro/ El Capitan is very positive. Overall everything feels a bit faster and tighter, and several annoying bugs that I was encountering before (keyframes moving after releasing mouse button, slow playback frame rates, weird caching issues, etc) have been dealt with. I haven't gotten into the new features yet but I look forward to checking those out. Great job on the update!

No improvement for me :(

Decided to upgrade in the middle of a project since I was at my wits end with the performance of 13.5 and had high hopes for the bug fixes in 13.6.

It seems slightly more responsive -- although still feels laggy too me, but at least I can more reasonably trust where my keyframes will end up when I move them. And they've added some flexibility to the preview system, so you can go back to the way it used to be if the chuggy "live" previews weren't doing it for you.

Unfortunately, the image cache issues seem worse than ever... borderline unusable. Layers will just stop updating, clearing image cache doesn't do a thing. Restart the app and it works right... until it doesn't. Also still experiencing the infuriating undo bugs, where undo just stops working, weird error messages about "dummy undos" and "undo groups". Combine that with the image cache issues, half the time I don't know what the hell's going on. I was doing some very basic cloning, cleaning up some tracking markers, did an undo, nothing happened, did a few more... image didn't change. Said fuck it, I'll live with the mistake. Rendered -- apparently the undos did work, because all the tracking markers were visible in the render. Close the program and reopen, indeed all the clone layers were gone.

Also, lots of random crashes, with no explanation, no chance to save work before program closes. I've got auto-save set to every 5 minutes.

Tested on multiple Windows machines, quite powerful ones, same shit on each machine.

Right off the bat, I am having some problems with caching with the new version (although I was having some different caching problems with the last version). The last version in complex scenes if I moved the CTI, the stage would stay grey and wouldn't update. Clearing the cache wouldn't work. Only restarting the program would work. In this version after I delete a layer, it sometimes stays there until I I manually clear the cache.

Anyone else having this problem?

I was getting lots of crashes with the last version. I haven't used this one much yet, so I don't know if the stability has improved.

edit: Yeah this caching issue makes AE pretty much unusable. It happens with every single modification you make to a layer. It doesn't update until you clear the cache.

-Spunj

Edited by Spunj

We have isolated the "stale image information" or "bad cache" problem that Spunj is referring to. We have a fix in hand, and we're testing it now. I am hoping for a bug-fix update to be released with this and three or four other fixes in a week.

In the meantime, purging the caches or closing and reopening the project are the best ways to work around this issue.

We have isolated the "stale image information" or "bad cache" problem that Spunj is referring to. We have a fix in hand, and we're testing it now. I am hoping for a bug-fix update to be released with this and three or four other fixes in a week.

In the meantime, purging the caches or closing and reopening the project are the best ways to work around this issue.

Thanks for the update Todd. Is it safe to uninstall and re-install the old version of AE? Iv'e also updated Premiere and I'm working on projects that have dynamic link. Will working in the new Premiere and the old AE cause problems with dynamic link? Should I un-install the new Premiere and install the previous one as well?

-Spunj

Thanks for the update Todd. Is it safe to uninstall and re-install the old version of AE? Iv'e also updated Premiere and I'm working on projects that have dynamic link. Will working in the new Premiere and the old AE cause problems with dynamic link? Should I un-install the new Premiere and install the previous one as well?

The Creative Cloud desktop application doesn't allow for rolling back to a chosen minor version. But you can download the full 13.5 installer and then install the 13.5.1 bug-fix patch manually. Adobe hosts those packages on our site, but we don't expose the links on our site (since it is not the preferred or official method). But ProDesign Tools has fixed that for you on their site by giving you the links to our site.

If you install After Effects CC 2015 through Creative Cloud, it will install After Effects CC 2015 (13.6). If you install After Effects CC 2014 through Creative Cloud, it will install After Effects CC 2014 (13.2).

The versions of Premiere Pro and After Effects must be in synch, so don't try mixing old After Effects with new Premiere Pro.

If you'd like to help us to test the After Effects CC 2015 (13.6.1) update---which fixes the image cache bug and several others---you can request access to the prerelease testing program here:

https://www.adobeprerelease.com/

Choose the "Private programs" tab and click Apply to apply for the "After Effects CC 2015 (13.6.1) patch update" program.