Sign in to follow this  
Markphillipsfx

Creating a similar liquidy marble effect

Hey guys i was just wondering about creating an effect like the one in this video by Sébastien Girard

https://vimeo.com/143773975

He goes into a little detail of how he's done it but i was just wondering if anyone could expand for me.

"Hi there and thanks. This is a complex workflow betwwen After Effects and cinema 4D. I rendered some fractal noises in after effects to put them as materials on some flat meshes in Cinema 4D. Then I applied forces and dynamics on these meshes to distort it. Render it, and finally apply distortion again in after effects and some little tricks to composite."

I think you'll have to just play around to be honest. It looks fairly sophisticated what he's got. One trick is to put particle forces into a jiggle deformer (turn off gravity etc) which is applied to your geometry plane. You can get some quite nice organic effects that way.

The whole look is basically what "thin film shaders" do when driven by noises and changing the light incidence and other parameters that affect the incidence. In C4D you could experiment with the Spectral shader and all sorts of distortion and displacement stuff. Some harsh contrasts could easily produce those smear film structures. You just need to figure out the mappings in C4Ds dated UV handling to pin the input textures.

Mylenium