Sign in to follow this  
flow

c4d - brick wall texture on lots of letters

hi,

i have to do a piece that involves lots of typo in a brick wall look. they need to look goooooood, so i have to do proper textures for them.

here is what i am thinking

-do uv's each character

-add brick texture in cubic mode not uv

-bake texture

-take that as the base for the final texture

the advantage is that the cubic mode does a decent job projecting the texture, so the photoshop and bodypaint work will not start from scratch.

any input? are there better ways to do that?

thanks

I'd probably do it as geometry using cloners and stuff. Masonry follows specific rules which are hard to capture just with textures, at least when you get closer. Of course I have no idea on your design concept...

Mylenium

I think cloners could work, if the bricks were really small. Then you could extrude a duplicate of each letter to make a cage around it, set this cage as the falloff shape on a Plain Effector (set to Visibility, Max=0 Min=0 to make the clones disappear) and then hit Invert on this falloff to make any bricks outside the edges of the cage invisible.

If you went the UV map>displacement route, try to imagine the UV map you'd need to make it work - yeah Cubic might work, if you don't have curvature...

Third way I can think of is doing the UVs, then using a tiling brick texture heightmap as a brush alpha in Sculpt mode, or in a third-party sculpting app (Sculptris is free, 3D-Coat inexpensive)

All depends on the design concept as Mylenium says...