Sign in to follow this  
Todd Kopriva

Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016.

Tell us, the After Effects team, what to work on in 2016: http://bit.ly/1QvNft0

Our current plan is focus on quality and performance. But those are big areas. We need your input to tell us what specific quality issues you want us to address and what specific things you'd like us to make faster.

Take this very brief survey to give us your input:

Performance/speed. By this I mean just the speed it takes to render each frame (both in render and general use). That's my top 10.

Everything else would be nice but this is the main thing. I have filled in the questionairre but just to re-iterate.

I would start with basic stuff, like Cached preview needs 2 more frames for playback (please fix this random thing that keeps on haunting us), proper audio sync and hopefully GPU supported for ram preview, It would be super awesome gpu enabled render. It`s crazy slow on 32bit tiff files, so I guess a better architecture in dealing in 32 bit medium, thx

Survey inputted!

For me, renting this kind of software is a direct threat to my business, partly because the fractional update process is so unreliable in its introduction of work-stopping bugs, but much moreso because all of my files, and therefore all of my valuable work, becomes effectively inaccessible should I be unable to pay the rental fee each month. That's less like renting a tool, and more like paying a monthly ransom for the safety and well-being of my work. Work which, by all rights, I should own and control in its entirety.

I realize this is an argument that will slide lightly off the side of the mountains of profit that this rental system generates for Adobe, but it remains true nonetheless. Just wanted this reminder out here, or to be corrected if I somehow have it wrong.

- Fix caching system

- Improve interface & editing speed

- Real 3d environment, native 3d object import & camera mapping

- Replace raytraced-render-engine with something that works reliable on any gpu

- Start selling AE licenses again instead of (or in addition to) your rental system

- If thats impossible: at least fix licensing issues, cause they're a pain in the rear

- Make it easier to keep old AE versions installed when updating to a new major version (should be the default behaviour)

- Make it easier to exchange projects between different AE versions

- Layer groups

- Time sync (think parenting in time)

- Effects on text layers can use range selectors

- World peace

Edited by levante

Update the (15 year old) render engine!

I keep getting a new mac pro at work with the engineers assuming I'll work faster and I have to keep telling them "the render engine is out of date it wont get any faster!"

Plus

+Layer groups

+shape layer controls UI panel (we have to twirl through a million layers just to get to the properties of the shape)

Layer Groups

Ability to own a copy of AE forever after a year of rental, even if it's a deprecated version without Character Animator (shock!)

Expressions for dummies:

like a pickwhip tool on the top toolbar that can link two values of anything

toComp/toWorld expressions to be just a context menu item on transform props twirly

Node-based expressions

More helpful error messages on expressions error dialogues ("needs to be of value 3, not 1" isn't gonna help anyone learn) with a clickable link to help page of probable causes

Stability and speed. I seem to spend more and more time waiting for undos to process, ram previews to work and forcing caches to update by switching preview resolutions so that my work displays properly.

I seem to spend more and more time waiting for undos to process, ram previews to work and forcing caches to update

My two biggest momentum killers. The previewing not working (as it has worked previously, for like, ever) is absolutely unacceptable.

Layer Groups

Ability to own a copy of AE forever after a year of rental, even if it's a deprecated version without Character Animator (shock!)

Expressions for dummies:

like a pickwhip tool on the top toolbar that can link two values of anything

toComp/toWorld expressions to be just a context menu item on transform props twirly

Node-based expressions

More helpful error messages on expressions error dialogues ("needs to be of value 3, not 1" isn't gonna help anyone learn) with a clickable link to help page of probable causes

Yes, yes, yes.

Agree with Binky and Levante that the rental idea is not working well, especially for those of us that are sole traders. However, Adobe have never cared about customer input on this matter and now we know why; CC is a platform for shifting other products apart from the software. Once you're tied in (a choice we don't have due to Adobe's monopoly) you're basically there to be flogged all sort of digital tat. None of this feels like genuine innovation.

That whinge over, there's certainly some great ideas in CC. I like the Library concept even if it doesn't really work and is woefully inconsistent across apps. I've lost lots of data when upgrades have occurred (especially colour palettes generated from Kuler onwards) and if this worked well it would be great. Other apps such as Fuse are great bits of technology, impressive to be sure but seem a tad lost; they're bolted on gadgets that don't seem to fit.

For AE:

• A proper 3D system including being able to correctly interpret coordinate systems from imported files (I'm using C4D). A particle system should be included in this update.

• Render speed

• Whilst filter development has been subject to some ridicule over the years, it would be nice to see some new filters in AE; the app has lost it's focus as a creative tool in itself.

I like the splash screens.

I have to say - I loved CC 2014, but RAM Preview is somehow borked on CC 2015. I'm gonna use this dinky M.2 gumstick from my laptop as a cache disk for AE and see if that helps. I'm gonna down-save to CC 2014 tomorrow, download and install CC2014 and open this music video that is becoming an invidious challenge due to RAM Preview being a dick.

Rendering: You know that multi-machine rendering trick with opening as many instances of BG Render as you have CPU threads? I can't be bothered to scroll up, preferring the sound of my own invective, but didn't we talk about AE being a multi-threaded application? Rather than opening AErendercore.exe instances which is, quite honestly, silly. Dual 8-core Xeons when I was working at Sky = 36 AE instances to load with 3GB of data each. That render won't start till Wednesday, but when it does, boy, you should see 'er go!

(Todd, you know I love you man, but I hadn't started on this video when I did the survey)

Sorry Todd, maybe that was a bit harsh. I appreciate all of your efforts.

I'm a frustrated user for a lot of reasons, but a big one is the playstation subscription model that I do like, but find that I'm now managing a lot more update maintenance than ever before. You can argue that 'well you can just not upgrade', but I think most freelancers and others know that's not true. Other companies upgrade and send new version files, etc., so you have to have a hand in the update in some fashion.

All of that is fine and I can live with having to hide my older versions in a safehouse folder in case when the new version breaks.

Something as basic as ram preview that worked fine, that became a fluid part of anyone's workflow since it's introduction - broke.

Literally going against the the old adage.

And I'm not a tech guy, maybe it IS because 'it's not done yet' or 'it's being rebuilt to support some new memory blah blah blah'.

But I'm just a dumb user and want it to work, without being a test subject for wild new innovations like a broken ram preview.

Maybe I'm getting a little overheated, maybe I'm having a bad day, but I do appreciate your efforts and this isn't aimed at you but Adobe in general. A company that I truly believe has 17 different cafeterias just so the devs don't talk to each other.

Sorry for the rant overall, I know this is a thread for positive and useful advice.

So I'll go for something small.

How about merging Lloyd's old Immigration script into AE, and other small things like layer groups mentioned earlier that just enhance workflow.

I remember I was on the beta programme back in CS5.5 or CS6 sort of era, however I've not been invited back since. That says to me that either a) I'm not in favour with Adobe any more (probable) or B) Adobe no longer beta the software. With the subscription plan that Adobe are pushing, consumers expect fixes to things like the RAM preview issue within days, not weeks. What I'm trying to get at is how, the hell, did the RAM preview issue occur and no one flag it before release?

Adding to this.

Is the 'moving the mouse while collecting causes a broken collect file directory thingy' something that happens to other people?

'Cause if so, please fix that so I can be more productive and not have to leave my desk in fear of bumping the mouse.

can you use all my cores

thats the next thing

Adding to this.

Is the 'moving the mouse while collecting causes a broken collect file directory thingy' something that happens to other people?

'Cause if so, please fix that so I can be more productive and not have to leave my desk in fear of bumping the mouse.

oh my god yes the worst!

at the end of a project watching a load of designers timidly standing by their desks with their mice upside-down

Edited by nickin

I just saw two check-ins go into the code: one to fix the Collect Files bug and the other to fix the non-real-time playback of cached frames on El Capitan. Presuming that these fixes are validated in testing, I expect them to come in the next After Effects update, which is currently targeted for this spring.

And that is my last post on this forum as an Adobe employee.

Victoria started last week, and I'm just around for a few more weeks to train her.

Thanks, all. It's been nice knowing you. When I started posting on here in 2007, someone warned me that you were all a bunch of assholes, and I should not bother. Turns out that you're my kind of assholes, and your deep knowledge and concern about the software that I was working on was immensely helpful in me doing my job.

Edited by Todd Kopriva

I just saw two check-ins go into the code: one to fix the Collect Files bug and the other to fix the non-real-time playback of cached frames on El Capitan. Presuming that these fixes are validated in testing, I expect them to come in the next After Effects update, which is currently targeted for this spring.

And that is my last post on this forum as an Adobe employee.

Victoria started last week, and I'm just around for a few more weeks to train her.

Thanks, all. It's been nice knowing you. When I started posting on here in 2007, someone warned me that you were all a bunch of assholes, and I should not bother. Turns out that you're my kind of assholes, and your deep knowledge and concern about the software that I was working on was immensely helpful in me doing my job.

Thanks for all the work Todd. I was actively looking at jumping ship from After Effects until you pointed the software in the direction of high performance over endless new "features" of dubious value.

I've never understood why some people get offended by honest, informed criticism. I've found it to be gold and those who give it to be the exact opposite of assholes.

Best of luck with your next project.