Sign in to follow this  
Spunj

Designing for an LED Wall - Separating Pixels

So I'm designing some content for a very large wall made up of LED lights. The total resolution is only 1507 x 46, however the size of the wall is massive. The distance between each LED light is around 12 cm. So you can only see the whole picture if you are standing a few hundred feet back.

I would like to create a digital representation of the spaced out pixels for previewing. My solution so far is to create a 1507 x 46 comp (called "Content") to do the design work in, then place that comp in another, much larger comp. Then I create a solid and apply Trapcode Particular. I set the Particular emitter to "Layer Grid" and choose my "Content" comp layer as the source, and set the horizontal and vertical particle amounts to match my comp size. Wonderful. I now have a particle for every pixel. Now I need to add space between the pixels, and this is where I get stuck.

I can easily scale up the "Content" comp layer, and I do get the particles to spread apart, however as I scale that "Content" comp layer, it becomes blurry, which in turn isn't creating accurate pixel representations in the particles. Some of the particles may turn halfway between one colour and another, depending on what edges in the "Content" comp layer are being blurred. If I turn the "Content" comp layer to draft mode to get rid of the blur, the particles are still not lining up and representing the pixels accurately.

Is there a different plugin I can use to spread apart the pixels of a comp, or entirely different route I should be taking? I feel like Particular is the way to go, because it allows me to make the particles larger than one actual pixel, so I can make it visible enough to be able to see what is happening. Any thoughts?

-Spunj

just make an alpha map of 1506x47 small white circles in a grid. then us that as a mask for your stretched 1506x47 comp.

1 circle per pixel.

in c4d you do this with a cloner pretty easily. im sure you can do the same in after effects. some kind of circle tiles.

oeuf: I think you are right. I went to form first actually, before I tried particular. But I couldn't quite navigate around it and for some reason couldn't find a way to map the colours from a precomp. But I think I'm on the right track now!

vozzz: When the project first came up I thought this is how I would approach it. The Particular method works a bit better than this, and I still run into the blurry scaled comp issue. But thanks for the response!

I'm gonna keep working with Form. I think I'm on the right track. Now to figure out all the math...

Thanks!

-Spunj

Edited by Spunj