Sign in to follow this  
flow

cloud flythrough stereoscopy

hi,

i just got a job request and am a little unsure if i should go for it.

its a simple cloud flythrough for a couple of minutes but it needs to be stereoscopic. i have never worked with that.

normally i would do the flythrough with particular in AE. can i do stereoscopic images completely in AE?

otherwise i would have to do it in c4d with turbulence fd.

will that be a bitch? or is it just as easy as throwing a stereo camera in the scene ... what i doubt ;)

any input is very much appreciated!

I would recommend you use this script from AE scripts http://aescripts.com/evil-twin-stereo-3d/

The short answer is no, good stereo is never simple. There a bunch of different factors to consider. Don't have time to write an exhaustive post and have only done one stereo project so not an expert, but for example with clouds transparency is tricky in stereo. Also for fly throughs any big objects that get cut by the edge of the frame break the 3D illusion.

From my experience I recommend using parallel cameras so you can adjust the convergence after.

I did stereoscopy in AE for a feature film. However it was a cartoon style, so the clouds I used were drawings seen by stereo cameras (composited with stereo renders from C4D).

Particular stereoscopy does work in AE, in fact I made a smoke trail for said film using particular and it worked well, though I'm not sure I'd want to do entire clouds with it. I had tested it beforehand with good results too:

anothername has hit the nail on the head pretty well with references to transparency, edge frame break and rendering parallel, there are quite a few rules you'll want to scrub up on. I made a document about 4 years ago that I handed to a number of studios I was working with, I'll try and dig it out for you (and anyone else who wants a read). For your amusement you can have a look at some of the tutorials I made, I can barely remember what's in them but it's hopefully still relevant and insightful: vimeo.com/projectchapman3d

As far as turbulence fd goes, you'd need to do a test... you'd render left and right eye separately, and that might cause c4d to calculate the image differently, which will break your stereo3d. If there is the option to bake that might help!

Edited by hello.ahay