Sign in to follow this  
shapirog

boole function in c4d?

Hello,

I was looking at this beeple video and noticed that he uses some kind of boole function or tool during his modeling, but it's not the c4d standard boole object. Look at 0:23 and 0:26:

It looks really similar to Illustrators pathfinder. He's using multiple objects at the same time and the resulting geometry looks very clean. I downloaded his file and there aren't a bunch of long triangles that you normally get when using boole object - its just one large unbroken face. Also it seems like a very quick (one click or one key) process as opposed to putting them in a boole object and making editable.

Is this a basic modeling technique that everyone already knows? am I missing something? is it a plugin? Thanks!

use the boole tool and tick "hide new edges" in the boole attributes.

Also you can subtract multiple pieces from the main body at once by grouping the objects to be subtracted within a null.

Here's a modelling trick you might have missed:

If you're modelling for subdivs, then you know creasing is a pain in the balzac. To make lovely even creases, double click an edge to get the whole edge (up to an angle), select the bevel tool and set it to Solid (there's other options, i'll save that for a video) and hey presto, lovely even creasings.

I'm not sure I follow.

What do you mean by "so quickly"?

It's a time-lapse video and it appears the recording interval is at one frame per minute.

(go through the video frame by frame and watch the clock in the lower right corner)

A lot can happen in-between those one-per-minute snapshots.

I think he's using the regular boole, no scripts or 3rd party plugins.

It looks like a minute goes by each second which would would mean 1 frame is actually about 2 seconds of realtime, I think.

It seemed to me like he had a keyboard shortcut or plugin that allowed him to cut out the objects in one go. You never see him group the other objects or create a boole object so I was just curious how he did it in 2 seconds.

It looks like he selects all the objects, and then in the next frame there's only 1 object in the object manager and they've been cut out of the main object.