Sign in to follow this  
superegophobia

C4D subscription licensing coming

"While MAXON remains committed to offering a perpetual license with the security of software ownership, we also recognize that subscription models make it easier for individuals to acquire software and for larger companies to adjust licensing counts to satisfy short-term production needs. Therefore, in 2016, MAXON will be exploring new ways to offer Cinema 4D in a time-limited fashion to satisfy this demand."

http://www.maxon.net/en/news/maxon-blog/blog-singleview/article/2016-opportunities-and-challenges.html

Options! That's what I'm talkin about!

If Adobe could wrap their head around it too, that'd be great. Draw 'em in with cheap low-risk payments and give them the security of ownership options when they're in deep. It's win-win! How is this not intensely obvious? Am I an idiot? :D

Amen to that! Some of us would like to nurse along a boxed product for a while, as we only do the occasional side project. We also don't want to have our project files become unusable if circumstances cause us to discontinue the monthly extortion subscription payments.

Cf

+1 on Binky's notes. Subscription is the quickest path to damnation when provided as the only option, but can be useful when you need that extra license for that intern that just popped in...

Mylenium

The problem is Adobe simply don't care what we think. Maxon are far more open to some pretty robust criticism about their software and (in my experience at least) engage in a conversation about it.

Does Adobe care about anything these days? You could write down "Adobe doesn't care about..." and fill in any arbitrary word(s) and it would always be right from bugs in the installers, to bugs in <fill in program name here> to customer support. Adobe has become one lousy company like any other big software shed and measures up to the worst of them...

Mylenium

Does Adobe care about anything these days?

In all seriousness, they care about money. Which makes sense, of course, and they should, but their decision-making in the last few years indicates that the business people are fully in charge and that business priorities rule over all, which is what tends to happen in corporations. If money is the blind and deaf king of the land, its rule and mandate won't change until we the people fully revolt and the rental business plans become unprofitable.

In this case, that means we'll have to wait until everyone starts to realize that their photoshop files become worthless if they stop paying Adobe the monthly rental fee. When that happens, the public shitstorm will slowly build to threaten Adobe's business goals, and they'll have a "creative" epiphany along the lines of a software ownership option.

And that will inevitably happen, given the current trajectory. I mean, most everyone is locked into the rental plan now, and can't back out without effectively losing access to all of their work. And as that dawns on everyone, and the added frustration of constantly broken working tools piles up, the rental system will come under heavy scrutiny.

Hopefully, some upstart underling at Adobe will issue a brilliant memo to this effect and some dullard multi-millionaire executive will see the passable logic in it and start aiming the lumbering corporate train down a different track.

On the subject of "not caring" this works just the same for the users. Unfortunately there's too many out there that don't give a shit. You know, like those untalented dimwits that only care to get their tools cheap via student pricing or special promotions like the Photography plan. And face reality: A few years down the road we will be like grandparents telling their grandchildren about the good old times when you could "own" your software and everyone will look at you like you are a bit weird. I would love to see things returning to a more acceptable state, but I don't see it happening. Not with Adobe, not with many other companies. The darkness is spreading...

Mylenium

I wasn't thinking it would take THAT long!

Like a whole generation would be weaned on rental software with their work happily held for ransom before we collectively got our shit together? :D

It's gonna take some serious face-slapping to get people to realize what a bind we're all getting ourselves into here.

Cheers to Maxon, btw!

before we collectively got our shit together?

Ain't ever going to happen, more's the pity. With no official union (the NGA was on it's way out here in the UK when I started work in the mid-1980's) and no-one to organise one we are lemons to be squeezed (a union would need to be truly international too to have any chance of being effective).

Without any meaningful competition Adobe can pretty much do what they want, and stick two fingers up at those who disagree. They say it's our choice whether we subscribe or not, but that argument is dishonest; there is no choice if we want to work.

Welcome to the shiny new world!

With no official union (the NGA was on it's way out here in the UK when I started work in the mid-1980's) and no-one to organise one we are lemons to be squeezed (a union would need to be truly international too to have any chance of being effective).

Pretty sure the GPMU (Graphic and Printmakers' Union) would welcome you in with open arms, but they're myopic and Trotskyist and fossilised. Taking a legal fight to Adobe is likely pretty far from their list of stated aims.

I'm really looking forward to having a subscription for C4D on my home computer. I use Adobe apps once a week so thank f'k I'm still on the promo rate of £26 p/m for CC....

Maya is doing a sub for £123 per month, I'm guessing C4D is similar as the two are almost the same price for box software?

A few years down the road we will be like grandparents telling their grandchildren about the good old times when you could "own" your software and everyone will look at you like you are a bit weird.

Substance Designer offers a subscription that confers ownership after 18 months of subscription payments. Finance, in other words. This is the model that small businesses and freelancers need.

Yeah the pricing for the temp license seems odd. A year and a half on the subscription model costs the same as buying it outright and it's not like C4D has that many useful upgrades that we'd want to update every 18 months. Kinda feel like if 24months rental was equal to buying the license outright and you could really spread the payments out monthly would make sense.

When they started the subscription model, Adobe claimed that it would allow them to focus on things like speed, usability, interoperability and UI tweaks that the pro users really wanted instead of whizz-bang new features that we didn't but the marketing department did. That sounded ok in principle. But what has happened with the re-architecture fracas of AE CC2015, is that we have paid Adobe for software that is bug-ridden and unusable in production. The re-architecture was necessary, and it seems like it was always going to take a long time to get right. But whilst Apple spent all those years doing the same thing re-building FCP, no-one had to pay for it until it was ready. So, guessing that AE 2016 is a stable release that merely fixes the 2015 problems with few new features, we have already paid for the last 12 months dev work, and had very little for our cash for the last 12 months, given that a lot of us still have to use AE2014. We are now in a cycle where we pay for software BEFORE we get it, rather than after.