Sign in to follow this  
Spunj

Particular - particles aligning to a pixel grid

Hello,

I'm working on content for a large LED video wall. In order to create a visual representation of what the wall would look like (the led/pixels are 10cm apart) I made a small comp (123x46) which I then used as a layer map for trapcode form to spread out the pixels in a comp that is 1230x460.

Everything is working great so far, except I need a way for have particle effects "snap" to a pixel grid. AE is always interpolating between pixels and creates "ghosting" effects.

Here's a video explaining what I mean buy ghosting. You can see some of the rain has a dimmer ghost beside them, caused by the interpolation between the pixels.

https://vimeo.com/162100636

Any ideas?

-Spunj

Edited by Spunj

Haha agreed. Do you mean in place of using form to spread out the pixels or to make the "rain" effect.? The spreading of the pixels is working out fine, it is in the layer map comp where the issue of pixel interpolation with a particle lies. I would like the particles to snap to a row of pixels, rather than have one particle to be split (also with less opacity) between 2 adjacent pixel rows.

-Spunj

Try adding an adjustment layer to clamp out based on luminance so anything that is not full brightness will be crunched down to 0.

Another option is to just use a luma key on the layer to knock at everything below a certain value. I'm guessing at this as I can see what you're working with.