Sign in to follow this  
Thos

GTX 1080

Well who is hyped for this? To upgrade right away, or to wait for EVGA etc to release their build, or wait for ti version, or grab one (or more) very capable 980ti's on the cheap. Thoughts?

Well for upgrading from my current card and getting one that will handle VR well. It's a significant cost and figured others might be in the same boat and want to discuss. Jerking off on it is optional and I have found it can damage the hardware.

I would wait, let the dust settle and see what third party card vendors bring to the table. I'm interested in seeing what this new card brings to the table as well as seeing what it does to prices across the board, if anything.

And jerking off hardware? are we talking teledildonics? I hear that shits DAH FEWCHAH!

Edited by oeuf

Wait for a while.

The 1080 uses the new Pascal architecture. It will take a while for Mograph software optimization and benchmarking to let us know what the usable power per dollar is.

Well for upgrading from my current card and getting one that will handle VR well.

And your current card would happen to be...? And your VR solution is...? Throwing around generics is not particularly useful. If you already have a 980 or Titan Black, it will be plenty for a good while. It's not like the 1080 is going to make much of a difference for most stuff, anyway. As long as developers haven't adapted their software, you won't see any enhancements and even then it remains to be seen whether you see a significant boost. You just need to check gaming sites. Different engines, different results. Some games like the new "Doom" have insane framerates on a 1080, others make barely a burp. As always, there's more to this than just buying expensive hardware...

Mylenium

Well I was more curious about a general discussion, but I also will be upgrading my desktop in the near future to run an Oculus and was thinking about jumping on the Octane bandwagon as well. Current card is an ancient Radeon, about 4 years old can't recall the model number right now but it is in desperate need of updating.

I was leaning towards waiting but shiny new hardware is always tempting, I will probably try to grab a 980 on the cheap(er) if prices drop and see how the 1080 pans out eventually working up to multiple cards if I go the Octane route. Good to know everyones thoughts.

Any top brand VR solution needs at least a 970.

Since he's talking about a 1080 or cheap 980's, you either

1) lack reading comprehension

2) are, yet again, throwing a hissy fit

The 1070 seems like it could be a good budget friendly option as well. Not sure how much VRAM Octane uses but having 8GB for TurbulenceFD sims is tempting at ~$379. I will wait till more reviews are out but so far sites are saying the 10xx series is a bigger jump in performance than the usual yearly updates.

Looks like Nvidia is starting to shift more of the high end features off the gaming cards and exclusively putting them into the "Pro" ones :(

Not really. The article you linked doesn't even have much relevance for gaming. Double precision in that case are more of an "would be nice" thing for simulations and certain clipping calculations, but it's not essential, even more so since the game engines and APIs do not even have features that would use such a DP infrastructure. It might one day become more relevant, but at this point this is merely a citizen of Nerdistan obsessing about made up "deficiencies" of an retail card vs. an architecture for scientific use. If at all I would imagine all developers of GPU renderers facepalming themselves for nVidia leaving them hanging in mid air without hardware DP support...

Mylenium

Not really. The article you linked doesn't even have much relevance for gaming. Double precision in that case are more of an "would be nice" thing for simulations and certain clipping calculations, but it's not essential, even more so since the game engines and APIs do not even have features that would use such a DP infrastructure. It might one day become more relevant, but at this point this is merely a citizen of Nerdistan obsessing about made up "deficiencies" of an retail card vs. an architecture for scientific use. If at all I would imagine all developers of GPU renderers facepalming themselves for nVidia leaving them hanging in mid air without hardware DP support...

Mylenium

I'm not really interested in Nvidia cards for gaming (I've got a PS4 for that). I want them for Mograph use to drive my monitor and render my scenes.

The guy who wrote the article is "V-Ray RT GPU Team Lead", so maybe he knows a thing or two about GPU rendering.

It looks like more than just the lack of DP. It looks like the 1080 is just Maxwell architecture made with 16nm transistors.

Anyway, feel free to vent randomly if it makes you feel good.

Not sure what you are getting at. If you (or those VRay people) need a Pascal-based Tesla card for whatever reason, then simply buy it. Otherwise I fail to see the point in such discussions. Why would nVidia even care if gaming cards have DP and all that nice stuff, when it's not needed for their originally intendend use? I think people are forgetting that it was never anyone's intention for people to use gaming cards to drive GPU renderers. It just happened incidentally and now everyone gets wound up over nVidia not playing ball and not throwing out advanced features on lower tier card models. IMO that's all there is to it. People simply have wrong expectations. Imagine a world where GPU-based raytracers wouldn't even exist... And clearly so far those renderers do wonderful things even today without DP and will continue to do so for a while. Even if DP became the latest fashion, it would be a technical requirement that this stuff also runs on legacy hardware to provide a healthy user base that actually buys this stuff...

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

We've been getting a low-cost ride for a while by using Nvidia gaming cards as professional render hardware. It has worked wonderfully with all those R&D $$$ from gaming flowing into hardware that can also be used for 3D rendering.

I was giving a heads-up that it looks like Nvidia is putting more distance between it's gaming and Pro cards.

It's very important to understand what Nvidia is doing as 4 Nvidia cards for a modern GPU based workstation can cost more than the whole rest of the system combined. If that doesn't concern you, that's fine.

From the discussion on the Octane Facebook page, OTOY is going to probably take till August to make Octane 3 Pascal-friendly, with or without optimisations. By that time, the non-Founder's Edition cards will be out (bout £100/$150 cheaper).

The 1080 is an 8Gb vRAM card - I'm curious how many millions of polys you can get in one scene before you hit that threshold, but hey, forcing people to model more economically and use instancing is no bad thing. But yeah, I am foaming at the mouth. I couldn't afford a Titan when they came out, and now I can just about afford two 1080s, which will soon enough inherit the throne of Octania.

Until that point I'm thinking of piecing together a dual-xeon build so that Vray speeds the fuck up. When's Stefan gonna bring Vray RT for C4D? Anyone?