Sign in to follow this  
BlueCrab

How tough is it to succeed in the VFX industry?

I've read a lot in the last couple years about VFX studios closing left and right. I've read about how much people have had to move around, and the studio issues with tax subsidies and the VFX artists protesting. I have not seen the documentary yet on Life of Pi, but have read a couple articles regarding it and the issues it brings up.

My question is how much of this is still prevalent now, and is this a worrisome time to be entering this industry? I went to school for 3d character animation, but have been doing graphic design work for the last 2 years. I want to pursue further education in VFX and really pour a ton of time into learning motion graphics. I am worried though after the things I have read, that the industry is becoming incredibly hard to break into and succeed in.

I know all the cliches about following passion and hard work will get you where you need to be (and I'm not dismissing them at all), but how tough is the industry right now for newcomers especially?

Well, right now, VFX and motion graphics are still fairly distinct industries although crossover is becoming more and more prevalent. And I think that's just because mid-size and larger studios are having to offer more and more service to compete for survival. VFX and motion tools are really in the hands of everyone now, whereas studios alone used to corner those resources. What seems to be happening is that there's more work than ever, but there are also vastly more artists in the game, and that supply has grown so fast that it has outstripped the growing demand, and so prices have fallen.

That doesn't mean you can't make a living, though. Falling prices and access to the tools just means that a lot of work is now being done by artists in smaller, more fluid teams with lower overhead. So there's a ton of jobs coming out of 2 and 3-man teams. At the same time, there's still plenty of work being done by huge studios and agencies, because very large clients want the security of the massive resources those studios can bring to bear on a project at a moment's notice.

The main point here is: there's competition, yes. You have to be strong in your art and craft, yes. You probably won't be an instant millionaire, no. But there's lots of work, and while the industry evolves and restructures to these new conditions, you can be doing the exciting stuff you want to be doing, and be making a living in whatever weird way suits you. And that's not even the whole story. I'm sure other people have better insights from having been around the industry, too.

i think if you're asking this question, then you should probably go into a field with a more reliable/predictable source of income.

Because in the end you will be competeing with people who simply want to do this so much that they don't care about how easy it is to make money or how much competition there is. It's really the same in most fields, but in this specific one there are lots of really passionate people who really love what they do, and simply can't/won't do anything else.

[edit]: sounds a bit harsh.. sorry...

Edited by vozzz

I think its like any other industry/profession. Its tough to break through but you'll get there just like everyone else. It can take a few years to find your place but you will.

I think as well that there is almost a hysteria that goes around in the community of businesses closing down and how bad it is for everyone (and it is bad no one wants to be out of work) but that just happens everywhere every day in any profession.

Keep an eye on the industry but don't let it swallow you up :)

i think if you're asking this question, then you should probably go into a field with a more reliable/predictable source of income.

You can have a reliable/predictable source of income from this industry.

Edited by Basic

You can have a reliable/predictable source of income from this industry.

of course, but you know, its not like plumbing or dental hygienist.. here to get reliable/predictable you also have to stand out, and keep standing out and keep learning and evolving and competing with every new wave that comes in.