Sign in to follow this  
high phi

Portrait aspect / iphone content in a creative reel.

Hi... I'm working on a marketing reel for a creative/gaming studio that is a showreel of all their various creative work. This includes gameplay footage, video game trailers, but also some of their concept art and game footage from casual games on iPhones.

I was wondering if anyone could point me to some good examples of incorporating elements that are in portrait aspect into a 16:9 video reel. The reel is in a semi-flat, minimal style (where there are graphics/titles). I've thought about tiling some things, zooming in close and pulling back slowly for some of the concept art stuff, but wondering if there are any other ways to work this stuff in.

Thanks!

I watched a reel some time ago where the guy had worked on a lot of point of sale animations for a cinema's candy bar. They looked 1080x1920. He basically just found some stock images of those environments and super imposed the animations over the top. Treated the scenes a little with colour correction / nice transitions but it looked great. Unfortunately I can find that reel anymore!

Something similar perhaps? Maybes record some footage of an iPhone and do the same? Its a tricky resolution as you don't want o waste space but I'm sure it would work. Just my thoughts :)

I haven't seen this before but might be a cool before and after transition from concept art to the screen graphics:

Display some concept art first that matches up with available gameplay or mobile screen graphics. The concept art displays full screen with maybe some ken burns. Have a mobile device animate in on top of the concept art (leaving concept art in place) and where the actual screen on the mobile device is: create a slight magnify effect showing the same concept art that is below the mobile device but pixelated. Blur the concept art in the background. The slightly magnified version of the same concept artwork that is now pixelated dissolves into the actual screen capture of gameplay or other final mobile graphics. Transition out by grabbing an element from the mobile screen and having it pop out of the screen, mobile device wipes away, then morph into another element for the next sample.

...a little deep handed but may be fun to setup.

Those are good suggestions... both are giving me ideas. Thank you! Unfortunately the concept art isn't related to the iphone game content, but that doesn't mean I can't fake it, or make it look like they are.

Normally I would make separate videos for different kinds of content, but because they want to show the wide variety of everything they do in one video its a little tricky.

Going to try experimenting a little with some of the ideas here and see what happens. Let you know if something good happens :)