Sign in to follow this  
joey

Tracking newspaper page turn...

Hi - I have a project on whereby I need to map or replace the pages in a newspaper with a plane in C4d (so that I can place my own content on later)
I thought of using track marks and then setting each point location to my new plane but that seems tricky. Now I am thinking to do things more manually by overlaying a plane with same segments as my tracking markers... Let me know if anyone here has any ideas or tips on how I can may this work...

MAG.jpg

Hi Joey

I'd try object tracking the individual markers to get a set of nulls and then create a series of splines whose points are linked to the nulls using xpresso. Then after the spline points are animated, use the loft nurbs and stick the texture to it. With the amount of blur and obscured points this may be difficult to do and become a manual process, however.

You may also consider planar tracking with mocha to get corner pins for the page corners, then just using a warp mesh in your favorite compositing app to fake the bending frame by frame.

Edited by sbtread

I don't know if you have access to Nuke, but looks like the new smart vector paint tool would be a perfect solution. I used it twice , it takes some time to calculate the motion vector pass but it worked great both time.