Sign in to follow this  
Davor

C4D Chain snake...

Hey all,

Been trying to figure this out with not much luck, so hoping to pick you people's brains for maybe some fresh ideas. I need to make a chain with links that can be animated, think of a snake, that part is kinda easy on it's own. But I would like the links to actually act like a chain, not deform to a spline, want them to stay rigid, and also react to collisions of other objects so it turns as needed and such. Is this possible?

I've tried warp to spline with dynamics, joints with dynamics, spline IK. Is there something I'm missing I could try to explore with?

Thanks!

in terms of computation, it is far far better to use either Connectors in Collider mode than real full-fat dynamics.

Making chains of connectors is arduous, look up Chris Smith's latest NAB video for a tip where he clones a grouped object and connectors with a piece of 'predictive xpresso' = it only works once you make the cloner editable, but the xpresso tag sets the relative paths of Object A and Object B to look in the same place in hierarchy, so when you have twenty of them they are automagically hooked up instead of setting 40 connections by hand tediously.

Because the pivot points will have been set carefully, and the dynamics Connectors do the swinging motion for you (make sure to use a restriction tag so they only swing on the Z-axis or whatever) the chain will interact with other RBD/Collider objects in dyn calcs

Sorry it's not easier than this but you'll just get exploding chains otherwise. Forget Hair dynamics, even with Iterations set to 100 they'll still melt and sag out of Initial Pose and clones will not align/distribute along them. I promise.

Thanks for the reply and my apology for such a delay on a reply from my end. I ended up making a cloner of the chain links and turning off gravity, had a control link at the end that I would use to move the chain around the object, it was the best thing I could find that did what I wanted, i've tried Connectors and everything I tried didn't work to get it to move the way I was wanting. It did the trick even though I had a bunch of junk frames off the start of the animation that I had to use to move the chains into place. I used a low poly link that I hid from view/render and child'ed the good looking high poly link inside it and make it viewable/renderable so the dynamic caching wasn't too bad.