Sign in to follow this  
Xaltotun

Mograph in Germany

I'm an American moving to Germany next month and I'm hoping to figure out how mograph freelancing works in Germany. Does anyone here have experience with it? I have a good 10 years experience but it's all in the US so I have no idea of things like day rates, and if English is commonly used in German studios. Sehsucht is one of the studios that inspired me to get into motion graphics in the first place and some of the best of the best are in Germany.

I posted a thread years ago and Vozzz was a huge help in pointing me in the right direction (thanks!) Do any of you have experience working with German studios? I need to get in touch with some as a stipulation of the visa but I'd love to learn about them a bit before jumping in head first and also it'd be great to get in touch with fellow mograph artists in Germany if any of you are around here.

Hey,

Vozzz is in Budapest. Matt Frodsham did an internship at Zeitguised in Berlin but generally the mograph scene there is pretty horrible, basically all the studios make explainer videos for startups. It is a bit depressing. If you look at the heavy hitters like Fuchs & Vogel, AixSponza, Sehsucht - they're not in the capital but rather spread out mostly in the south-west. The corollary is that a lot of German mographers work on car ads, and the motor companies are in Bavaria. Simon Fiedler, Cornelius Dämmrich, Holger Biebrach are all freelancing in the south of Germany where there are bigger studios with bigger clients.

If you do end up in Berlin, try to attend the Faux Images events (organised by Mate Steinforth) as you'd be aamzed how many mographers there are in a city with such a dearth of decent motion work (and how attractive their girlfriends are).

HTH

Most mograph shops are located in Munich, the Cologne area and probably Hamburg (though i never worked up there).

iline is right about Berlin: nice place to hang out and party but not a lot of exiting mograph work. Add low day rates for freelancers and you're probably better of some place else for working.

Speaking english at work shouldn't be too much of a problem, though it might lead to confusions during work-meetings from time to time. If you plan on staying longer, i'd recommend learning German anyway.

Most mograph shops in Germany are pretty small, think 5 - 10 guys. Some shops that come to mind:

Aixsponza, Velvet, gate11, Luxlotusliner, FeedMe, United Senses, DMC, BDA, Pro7 - SAT1 Creation, Congaz, KMS Blackspace, Sehsucht

Since i'm from Munich, most of these are too...