Sign in to follow this  
brandonJ

Critique me pls!

Over the last 2 years I've been trying to learn Cinema 4d in my free time. I would say i'm mediocre at best but would love to get some good constructive criticism. I live in Missouri, so having a mentor in the 3d world is non existing! I would message various people on social media for critiques but no one actually replies! As of now, I don't have a website because I don't know how to create one, but for now I have all of my stuff on instagram.com/btjcreative. Please have a look and let me know what I can do to push myself to the next level. Whether you think my compositions could be better or my texturing could be better, anything! Thanks!

Again, visit instagram.com/btjcreative for my work. (And no, I'm not trying to push you to like or follow, just looking for criticism, thanks!)

Hey Brandon!

The first question really is: what do you want to do with these skills? Are you aiming for photorealistic vfx? Or concept design? Is this for illustration purposes, or... y'know, what's your main goal here? Right now you're spreading it pretty thin as a "3D Designer - - Motion Designer / VFX artist - - Video Editor - Cinema 4D + Octane + Jesus Personal" and have a collection of "daily render"-style instagram shots. They're nice, but that self-description is spread pretty thin, so what are you working toward? Once you can lay that out, we can look at how you're meeting that goal.

That's a great question. I currently hold a full time Motion Graphics and Video Editor position for a non profit. Through this job I do 3D designs, Motion and VFX, and do film making and Edit. The description does stay true to what I do on a regular basis and I haven't really thought of how to condense all that down to 1 description, I guess on Instagram, it doesn't really matter. I'm not allowed to post work I do for the non profit on personal accounts so I guess having those descriptions doesn't really help the brand I'm trying to go for on instagram. I've changed my description to "USA based 3D artist and Motion Designer, Cinema 4d + Octane, DM for Inquires." Basically shortened it and made it simple and clear to what I'm posting. Thanks for taking the time to question that, it does help me as I never would have actually thought through it.

Ok, so you're already working as a generalist, essentially. And this is sort of the digital illustration output of your learning process with C4D. I guess the question was really "Is there a specific goal you're working toward, like doing visual effects, or motion graphics, or archviz, etc.?"

Doing this stuff for learning purposes and posting it is fine, but it's a little hard to critique. I mean, I could tell you I do or don't like your color choices, or I do or don't like your tendency toward centered compositions or textured overlays and heavy compositing, but it's all really subjective. I can objectively say things about whether a certain image is achieving photorealism (although I get the feeling that's not exactly what you're really going for). It's all either guessing what your goals are, or making really subjective statements, and as a random dude on the internet, I don't know if you really want either of those from me. :D