Sign in to follow this  
Guest pixel_pimp

3D Graffiti - I love this stuff

Guest pixel_pimp

Does anyone know how NAKD.TV (3FM SERIOUS RADIO), syndromestudio and a few others, pull off that 3D Graffiti trick. It is match moved and extrudes/grows while still holding the arrowhead shape or what ever it is. I know a lil Maya does it have something to do with history, or animated sweep? The Shader is really nice too. :?:

Guest igorschmigor

I don't know Maya, but i know how it could be done with 3D Max (i guess most pros use Maya though). In 3D Max it would be the PathDeform-modifier. You create the Arrow-geometry, then create the path to move it along. Select the arrow, add the modifier, select the path as a deformation-path, and animate the "percentage along path"-setting. That's it.

btw.: Syn_001 from Syndromestudio is a member here at mograph. Maybe he will tell you how he did it. But then again, he has never ever posted anything here :cry:

Guest pasto

I guess it is some paint FX brusches, but if you look carefully, the arrowheads doesn't appear before the completion of the stroke.

pasto

Guest igorschmigor

Oh yes, you're right. I only looked at the psyop-coflow thing. The one from Nakd is a little different. To me it looks like the flat ribbon is a 3D object while the 3d-ish blocky arrows look like a 2D-graphic to me. My guess is that they used some 2D-compositing software to reveal the 2D-stuff with a growing mask and then projected it into 3D-space. But that's just some amateurish speculation of course. However, i'd be very surprised to find out that the 3D-arrows really are 3D. They look so totally fake-3D to me (the perfect camera-match compensates that impression).

Guest igorschmigor

by the way, pixelpimp, if you are interested in graffiti in general, check out http://www.artcrimes.org/.

Although the site is awfully designed it's the ultimate graffiti-portal. At the bottom-left click on "best graffiti sites". Not all is good, but you'll find some wonderful stuff there.

Guest pixel_pimp

I had experiemented in Cinema4d, keyframing the growth of a sweep. I got some similar results. But I will try the deformer. That makes the most sense for keeping the arrowhead, graffiti shape.

thx

Guest TrentDiggity

Since were on the topic of graffiti books, Heres some of the best.

Subway Art

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ce&s=books&st=*

Cope 2 "True Legend"

available at http://www.fourthehardway.com

Dondi White, Style Master General, you can get it almost anywhere

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

But best of all, get the DVD Stylewars.

http://stylewars.com/

Its a really good documentary, and can be picked up for around 20 bucks.

Guest soulmobile

Can't wait to get stylewars.. I'll just add "Spraycan Art" (Subway Art's same author, publisher and format) to TrentDiggity's old school list.

TrentDiggity, I've saw some graff action in your reel, as well. Is that a documentary you were involved in?

Cool reel by the way!

Guest igorschmigor

for those interested in graffiti writers heading in new directions:

urban discipline 2002 (ISBN 3-00-009421-0)

It's book to the exhibition that was held in Hamburg. Features lots of cool work, not only what was exhibited. Some of the artists are dare, cmp, mear, loomit, daim, seak, daddy cool, stohead, alexone, toast, zedz, sat one, stuka, banksy, tasek, esher, os gemeos and many more. Has some stencil-work, acrylics, canvases, walls, print, computergraphics, even puppets (by nina from brazil), but everything was done by people who have their origins in graffiti.

Guest TrentDiggity
Can't wait to get stylewars.. I'll just add "Spraycan Art" (Subway Art's same author, publisher and format) to TrentDiggity's old school list.

TrentDiggity, I've saw some graff action in your reel, as well. Is that a documentary you were involved in?

Cool reel by the way!

I'm not a fan of spraycan art, i think it has something to do with my taste/preference in graffiti, if your searching for another book, i highly suggest:

Broken Windows, NYC Graffiti

ISBN: 1584230789

The stuff you saw is something thats been in the works for a while, those were samples i made on a possible look for a project, were actually scraping them and going in a new direction. thanks though.

Igor, Arnt the twins amazing? Ever check out the mag "Brain Damage" its got some decent stuff in it from time to time

Guest igorschmigor

yes, the twins are amazing, superproductive, i don't know how they do it.

i have brain damage issue 4 (january 2001), it's nice.

Guest spidex

I guess the way to do it in MAYA

1) create the arrow

2) create the path for animation

3) Attach arrow to path using animate by path

4) Attach a FLOW path to it to ensure its SMOOTH.

animate away.

I've also heard about using clustors on the curve to buffer it as history

either way... I do however wondered about the possibilities of it growing instead of swimming through the path.

Anyone have a clearer answer ?

( I'm a newbie but this is what i got )

Guest shone237

ya trent i checked out your www. Is 12oz making a video? I quit writing about 3 years ago after 15yrs. & 12 oz was always my favorite mag. Also I saw footage of NJ in their, at my old spots. hmm memories.

Guest PlayerHater
ya trent i checked out your www. Is 12oz making a video? I quit writing about 3 years ago after 15yrs. & 12 oz was always my favorite mag. Also I saw footage of NJ in their, at my old spots. hmm memories.

how can you quit after 15 years? come on man...

you do doodle.

Guest shone237

It gets stressful, im over 30, I cant keep running around beefing with kids over garbage. plus my parnter in crime shot himself and that kinda sours the whole deal. I still use graff in my work and still sketch. I decided all the effort I was putting into graff(2-3 pieces a week) would be more productive if I used that energy in my career.

Guest igorschmigor

I just checked your websites (PlayerHater and Shone).

I like your humour PlayerHater. Will there be more on your site soon? At first i didn't realize that there is a new picture everytime the site reloads. I like that.

Shone, you have some cool stuff on your reel and you freelanced (or worked (or work)) for Brandnewschool. Why didn't you post it in the reels section? Whatever, i added it now, hope you don't mind.

Guest mofresh

yeah 3d graffitis all good n all, but i reackon its almost in overkill zone. dat 3fm one is pretty cool, and also dat 'inspiration' piece from syndrome studio, and 'coflow' from psyop is pretty classie aswel.

over here in new zealand theres an ad for a mobile company that cranks 3d graph arrows in another way, one which i dont have a slightest clue how they didit. It does look pretty cool, along wit the other graphics in the add, but im just soo sick of seeing ALL the time.

anyways u can chekit out:

http://www.boostmobile.co.nz

(go to lounge/media)

see whatcha think. be cool to know how they didit

im guessin sum full on 3d

Guest PlayerHater
I just checked your websites (PlayerHater and Shone).

I like your humour PlayerHater. Will there be more on your site soon? At first i didn't realize that there is a new picture everytime the site reloads. I like that.

igor,

yeah, i'm actually developing that now, its gonna be more based on content than graphics. basicly an ghetto blogger making fun of pop culture.

have you seen this new graffiti world book? i got it a few days back, really nice productions that you'd probably be into but it gets an 0.5 outta 10 on the keepin it real scale. especially in the american area.