Sign in to follow this  
Guest firemind

Sony buys Useful Things

Guest firemind

Sony wants a piece of the mograph pie:

Useful Things® Acquired By Sony Digital Entertainment

The intellectual property associated with Useful Things, the popular visual

effects plug-in, has been acquired by Sony Digital Entertainment.

Verona, WI (April 15th, 2005) - Profound Effects®, Inc., a leading

innovator in visual effects technology, announces the sale of its Useful

Things product and technology to Sony Digital Entertainment. Useful Things,

regarded by many as a breakthrough for its flexibility thanks to its

completely programmable nature, will be supported by Profound Effects

through the end of July, 2005 after which time support will terminate. The

current version, version 1.6, will be the last version released by Profound

Effects, Inc.

Profound Effects can be found on the web at http://www.profoundeffects.com.

Guest Sao_Bento
I wouldn't say byebye to AE.. never.

49579[/snapback]

I think the "say bye bye" part was in reference to the absolute certainty that Sony will not continue developing UT for AE. Even if they did, Sony's main claim to fame in the video realm is making stuff that hardly anyone buys, then dropping support for those who did. Sony will ride Vegas and UT to an early grave - too bad.

Guest Sao_Bento
I learned Sony has drop pro CRT monitors from its product line. That's just crazy.

49599[/snapback]

Especially when you see how crappy their "pro" LCD monitors look - NOT usable for any kind of really quality control. We had them here at work for awhile, but they're useless for anything other than confirming that their is a video signal present.

Supposedly dropping the CRTs has something to do with new EU laws about mercury content in electronics or something - sounds like an excuse to go with a higher profit margin to me.

Guest ai

Maybe they think CRT screens will be gone in the midterm. Can you buy a CRT HDTV TV in the us? The standard in europe is 1080i and there's any CRT TV for it (i think). Everyone says the Mundial cup will be the launch of HD but there are very few solutions "fullHD" (1080) and they're very pricey for the consumer. And the intrusion of MPEG4 signals mixed with MPEG2 will also bring some confusion for the manufacturers.

Guest Artocentric
Maybe they think CRT screens will be gone in the midterm. Can you buy a CRT HDTV TV in the us? The standard in europe is 1080i and there's any CRT TV for it (i think). Everyone says the Mundial cup will be the launch of HD but there are very few solutions "fullHD" (1080) and they're very pricey for the consumer. And the intrusion of MPEG4 signals mixed with MPEG2 will also bring some confusion for the manufacturers.

49716[/snapback]

The HD market is a mess right now. They can't conform to any one standard and their customer base is extremely confused.