Sign in to follow this  
Guest firemind

Apple announces Motion 2

Guest paccollective

i was hoping this version of motion had a flipbook feature like shake - i have a huge graphics card and after several effect-ed layers, the "real-time" goes out the window. it would be nice to have something that would just cache a bunch of frames without exporting.

Guest Sao_Bento
i was hoping this version of motion had a flipbook feature like shake - i have a huge graphics card and after several effect-ed layers, the "real-time" goes out the window.  it would be nice to have something that would just cache a bunch of frames without exporting.

27338[/snapback]

You can always do a ram preview.

Guest paccollective
You can always do a ram preview.

27342[/snapback]

damn, schooled again - somehow i missed that. i did an index search in the manual and found it - thanks sao.

Guest worldpattern
I've seen "3D" touted elsewhere to, but I can't find it anywhere on the product pages. I know SHAKE got 3D. Am I missing something? You would think it would be the biggest new feature.

27302[/snapback]

I don't think it's 3D in the sense that we all wish it was. Because it's so tucked away in all the new documentation on Apple's site, I'm thinking that all we're getting is a rotate in 3D appearance plugin. This certainly doesn't look like adding actual 2.5D as in After Effects. Disappointing, but understandable. My guess is that we get what we want (or close to it) in Motion 3 (because of the obvious marketing potential).

Guest poly

My vote for Most Interesting-sounding New Feature is the MIDI control.

(I've often wondered why AE didn't have that.)

NOT for the trippy VJ-applications we'll see, though that's interesting. (Especially since they're apparently opening up their accelerated plugin architecture, so 3rd parties can write realtime GPU-based plugins.)

I'm thinking just for normal keyframing. Often I find myself adjusting the evolution of several parameters over time, say, blur amount, blur direction, and glow amount.

To do that in AE, I'll try to set up the timeline so I can see those three sliders at the same time, and then move the time-pointer, and adjust the sliders, building up the keyframes.

IF they did MIDI control in a sensible fashion, you could perhaps be able to assign each of your effect parameters-of-the-moment to sliders on your MIDI fader board. Maybe even put the time-pointer on your jog-shuttle. And then you can play with all three effects parameters til you find the perfect settings.

Guest jeickholt

It has a basic 3D filter and a 3D flag filter. I was fishing for a reason at the NAB Apple booth as to why anybody would want to use this if they do After Effects now. It seems geared towards an amateur or prosumer.

Guest Sao_Bento
It has a basic 3D filter and a 3D flag filter. I was fishing for a reason at the NAB Apple booth as to why anybody would want to use this if they do After Effects now. It seems geared towards an amateur or prosumer.

27578[/snapback]

Seems odd, considering that the Motion development team is supposed to be made up of people who were hired away from working on Combustion.

The 3D filter thing is not bad for what it is. It's the lack of cameras and interaction between 3D layers that are the setback.

The midi control was definitely cool. Made me think of the Eyeball NYC Lebron spot.

Another ingenius feature was adding the ability to add a "randomness" parameter to anything. You can do it in AE by wiring up an expression to a slider control, but why should you have to go to that much trouble?

I wonder if they make a midi pan flute - zamfir motion graphics.

Guest poly

My guess -- my insight as a software developer and drooling fanboy consumer -- is that they are taking a long-term development strategy to really get it right. As a team within a large company, they have the luxury to do that, at the expense of short-term features.

What they offer far and above After Effects is real-time interaction, by correctly using the graphics card for both basic stuff and for complex effects. To do this they have to get a really solid scalable internal software architecture.

Getting those foundations right is much harder -- and more important! -- than mere bullet features. With all that... 3d will be easy when the time comes. I have no doubt it's on their road map.

(Like someone else said, they'll probably say "Motion 3D!!!!!" for version 3.)

Guest jeickholt

Agreed. in the long term Motion could shape up into a really nice app. I feel like they are holding functions back now as not to step on Shake 4's toes. the simple 3d layers for example. Does apple really need Shake and Motion?

Guest SermonOfMockery

1. a zamfir joke! brilliant as always sao!

2. the midi control thing would be super useful, ala Reason (and im assuming other audio apps, but i dont know them), where you can assign a parameter to a given knob on your keyboard.

Guest Sao_Bento
1. a zamfir joke! brilliant as always sao!

2. the midi control thing would be super useful, ala Reason (and im assuming other audio apps, but i dont know them), where you can assign a parameter to a given knob on your keyboard.

27604[/snapback]

That's exactly how the midi control works. You can wire a key or keys on your keyboard (or midi accordion) to any parameter. In the demo, the guy had a fader wired to the "ray length" on light rays effect and a range of keys mapped to shuttle control. Since midi is velocity aware, the harder you pound the keys, the more pronounced the effect is.

Guest yuppster

My coworker said at NAB they were showing off this Pontiac spot made in Motion and some 3d (the red break lights). Not the greatest spot, but shows what you can do with particles in Motion.

Guest govinda

That Pontiac spot was done at CoreArsenal (they're in the Reels section). Their TD darf is the kind of guy who'd break Motion apart and build his own patches to get it to do things it normally wouldn't do. So that might not be all stock Motion you're seeing there. The particles in the second one are definitely also 3d, and in fact I bet a lot of it is 3D since those guys are technically some of the best there are. But in terms of things not technical, neither one is really that great, eh? I was disappointed with those and intentionally left them off the mograph site.

Guest amy_collins

we're using the midi control in motion 2 right now and it is absolutely incredible. saving SO much time -- also, it does give you keyframes, so if you do something stupid, you can go back and change it.

it certainly has cheese potential, but it also has the ability to chop off days of your workflow...