Sign in to follow this  
Guest firemind

Adobe buys Macromedia

Guest myExperiment

they better not die out. i use freehand instead of illustrator, and goLive is a joke.

man, i hope macromedia stays intact.

Guest govinda

The question for us is how much this is about AE. And I think the answer is, not as much as it's about other markets.

I think it's a side benefit of the deal that Adobe no longer has to compete with Macromedia Freehand, so they basically can put Illustrator on ice for awhile and spend their money elsewhere rather than worry about Freehand moving ahead. I personally wouldn't mind if Illustrator didn't change much as long as they put their dough into AE.

But I don't think that's what it's about either. It's another side benefit that they now may have more resources free to counter whatever Apple is thinking of doing with its apps.

What I'm reading so far is that this is about your cellphone. Mobile devices are going to IP within a few years because the cost savings are impossible to ignore (anyone try Skype yet?), and Adobe wants to be a part of that, helping deliver rich content to the tiny screen. I'm going to wait for some Gartner Group or Jupiter analyst to talk about this before I commit to believing what I'm writing, because right now it's big-time speculation. Suffice it to say that our market is a dinky consideration in the whole. Ask an investor what Adobe does, and they'll blurt out Acrobat and Photoshop. Ask them about AE and they'll yawn and look at their watch.

Guest igorschmigor
and goLive is a joke.

27281[/snapback]

Not at all!

But what can you expect from someone who prefers Freehand over Illustrator? :P:lol:;) :glare: :wacko:<_<:huh:

Guest compose

they have been planning this for years......and now...they are going to take over the world!!!!!!

Guest clintvideo
Not at all!

But what can you expect from someone who prefers Freehand over Illustrator?  :P  :lol:  ;)  :glare:  :wacko:  <_<  :huh:

27286[/snapback]

Amen to that one! Yikes. Maybe if you live your life on the web, but man...

Guest BillD222

:o HOLY CRAP!

This is completely outa left field to me and I sorta follow the markets.

Did anybody see this coming? Whatever signs there were VROOOOOM --right over my head. It's not like Macromedia has been struggling or anything, I thought they were doing quite well.

Well like all mergers, this of course means that there will of course be LAYOFFS.

I feel bad for people at all these companies that merge. It is the workers that always get screwed. :(

The consolidation continues.

Guest Beaver

My prediction:

GoLive: Gone

Fireworks: Gone

Freehand: Gone

Adobe's Website: Will look a lot more like Macromedia's website

Flash: Will get rid of the ghey vector drawing tools and work more like illustrator

Market leading software titles will gobble up the competing brands and incorporate any unique technology they offer.

Both Adobe and Macr brands will remain, and the software from adobe will stick mostly to the design end and macr's software will stick to the web end.

Can anyone say flash to AE export???

And finally, Adobe will come out with it's own video compression called "AdobramediaH.565breezensen"

Edited by Angry Beaver

Guest Sao_Bento

>>I think it's a side benefit of the deal that Adobe no longer has to compete with Macromedia Freehand, so they basically can put Illustrator on ice for awhile<<

As far as I can tell, they've only spent about $20 on it in the last 7-8 years.

I just can't wait for Flash CS to come out (now featuring Adobe Bridge©!!!!)

Macromedia - the worlds worst user interface design company is aquired by the worlds most over-hyped upgrade company - how can we lose??

>>Both Adobe and Macr brands will remain<<

Actually, it says the new company will be called "Adobe Systems, Inc."

http://slashdot.org/articles/05/04/18/1355233.shtml?tid=98

Guest samizdat
The question for us is how much this is about AE. And I think the answer is, not as much as it's about other markets.

I think it's a side benefit of the deal that Adobe no longer has to compete with Macromedia Freehand, so they basically can put Illustrator on ice for awhile and spend their money elsewhere rather than worry about Freehand moving ahead. I personally wouldn't mind if Illustrator didn't change much as long as they put their dough into AE.

But I don't think that's what it's about either. It's another side benefit that they now may have more resources free to counter whatever Apple is thinking of doing with its apps.

What I'm reading so far is that this is about your cellphone. Mobile devices are going to IP within a few years because the cost savings are impossible to ignore (anyone try Skype yet?), and Adobe wants to be a part of that, helping deliver rich content to the tiny screen. I'm going to wait for some Gartner Group or Jupiter analyst to talk about this before I commit to believing what I'm writing, because right now it's big-time speculation. Suffice it to say that our market is a dinky consideration in the whole. Ask an investor what Adobe does, and they'll blurt out Acrobat and Photoshop. Ask them about AE and they'll yawn and look at their watch.

27285[/snapback]

Seems like this could have a lot to do with countering Apple. Perhaps Abobe was worried that Apple would buy Macromedia first. Refresh my memory, but wasn't either DVD Studio Pro or Final Cut Pro developed at Macromedia, but bought by Apple?

Guest Sao_Bento
Seems like this could have a lot to do with countering Apple. Perhaps Abobe was worried that Apple would buy Macromedia first.  Refresh my memory, but wasn't either DVD Studio Pro or Final Cut Pro developed at Macromedia, but bought by Apple?

27304[/snapback]

Final Cut began at Macromedia, headed by Randy Ubillos (SP?) - the guy who did the bulk of the work on Premiere. Macromedia recognized that it was beyond the scope of what they wanted to focus on and stopped development, it was then sold to Apple.

Guest 3rdMARTINI

It's an interesting proposition, one which is being blogged to death at the Macromedia XML News Aggregator. Of course, being one of the featured blogs on MXNA, I haven't missed the opportunity to throw in my two cents.

As for applications phasing out, merging, et.c I think Angry Beaver falls closest in line to my beliefs. I've read a lot of people thinking that Adobe will automatically phase out Dreamweaver in favor of gaining market share for GoLive. BS. They know where existing market shares lie, and they'd be complete idiots to not continue to capitalize on that. GoLive will be the one to fall.

And, once you get away from Freehand/Fireworks/Dreamweaver, there's not a whole lot of overlap in application purpose for the rest of the two companies product lines. So, expect to see the rest of it staying as is (aside from possible workflow tweaks to integrate them better).

The thing I would like most to see is for an option for Flash to use the native Flash timeline or the AE timeline (like LiveMotion used to do). That would be great.

Guest spirozero

I'm not seeing this news on creativecow. Must be some kind of mograph joke. I mean, how could mograph beat creativecow on this?

;)

Guest SermonOfMockery

as long as i never have to use flash again, i'm cool with this

Guest firemind

I'm with Govinda. Content delivery for the mobile and on-line platforms is where it's at.

This is all about Flash. Adobe desperately wants a pie of the content delivery market, they've been turning Acrobat from an e-paper solution to a fullblown multimediaplayer and now they can hook it up to Flash for even more leverage.

I expect Freehand to be sold off, ironically for the second time, by Adobe. I expect either Imageready to be dropped for Fireworks, or Fireworks put in the freezer. Flashpaper might be killed off. No one mentioned Director or Authorware, seeing as the popularity of these apps is dwindling, I would sell 'em off.

As for AE and Flash merging or whatever, having been part of a software company being bought up by another software company myself, don't underestimate the huge resources it takes to make one codebase compatible with another codebase. It isn't just a matter of shuffling features from one app into another

The downside of all this is this leaves us with a big behemoth with no real push for innovation. Discreet hasn't exactly stepped up it's game with Combustion in the last 2 releases. Apple, while putting out apps that directly compete with Adobe, is still bound to a single platform. Corel is the perpetual b-player, despite it buying up Jasc recently.

Ohwell, it'll be an interesting next two years.

Guest Beaver
Actually, it says the new company will be called "Adobe Systems, Inc."

That doesn't mean they'll stop using the macromedia brand... It will probably be like "Macromedia, a division of Adobe Systems, Inc."

Guest BillD222
No one mentioned Director

Oh wow, that slipped my mind completley. Maybe they will do the smart thing and merge director and Flash into one program.

S'what they should have done long ago in my opinion. Director users must be really bugging out right about now.

Guest 3rdMARTINI

Being a Director user, I can tell you there are two distinct uses for Director and Flash, but for most people (myself included really), Flash wrapped into a projector for inclusion on a CD-ROM is just fine.

Director is like Flash from an animation standpoint, but Director gives developers mors access to system level resources on both Mac and PC. So, you can actually manipulate the file system, change system preferences, etc. from within Director applications whereas you really don't have that power with Flash.

In fact, I wish (but don't tell my boss) that we'd have purchased something like Flash Studio Pro instead of Director to make interactive CD-ROMs. For one thing, Director is way expensive, and it has more features than I need to make the types of CD-ROMs we make here. It would have been much better to just get something that makes SWF projectors run full screen and windowless.

Point is, they've kept the two separate for so long mainly to keep the Flash player small and quickly downloadable over the web. The Shockwave player is lots bigger.

Edited by 3rdMARTINI

Guest parallax

If they kill off Director, i will personally burn Adobe headoffice down to the ground.

Guest BillD222
Being a Director user, I can tell you there are two distinct uses for Director and Flash, but for most people (myself included really), Flash wrapped into a projector for inclusion on a CD-ROM is just fine.

In fact, I wish (but don't tell my boss) that we'd have purchased something like Flash Studio Pro instead of Director to make interactive CD-ROMs.  For one thing, Director is way expensive, and it has more features than I need to make the types of CD-ROMs we make here.  It would have been much better to just get something that makes SWF projectors run full screen and windowless.

27344[/snapback]

Sorry but I strongly dislike using director. Mostly because I rarely use it so that every time I go into it, it's like having to learn it all over again. Plus it has a lot of similar palletes to flash but the scripting is completely different! Why couldn't they just have made actionscript the language for both or lingo the language for both apps!!?

3rdMartini, I have used MDM's FlashStudio Pro and I like it very much. It adds a lot of functionality to flash.exe(s).

With flashstudio pro, I can stay in the flash authoring environment and not drive myself crazy in director and you can add tons of functionality that director could do plus a lot more. Check it out; they have a demo:

http://www.multidmedia.com/

Guest MrCrothers

Imagine, if you will:

Macrobe After Flash, Free-ustrator, Go Weaver, Directoncore & Photoshop CMXS 2006!

Actually, they should call all their new products, "XS"

As in excess.

As in ENOUGH!!!

I haven't seen a Super Team-Up since that one cross over when Marvel Comics and DC Comics merged. And you know, that Batman/Wolverine sucked the ass.

Did I just out myself? :o

Edited by MrCrothers

Guest Beerad

I hope to see GoLive phase out. Or at lest add the features they want to save into dreamweaver. I don't think it would wise to get ride of dreaweaver.

Guest mikewirth

It's true this is a "from left field" aquisition, but I think it will benefit us all. All of the softwares compliment each other very well. Sorry to be so hippy dippy about this, but I think alot of quams that users have in debating their favorite ware against another will be resolved. Soon these folks will be able to argue together against something else.

As the articles on adobe.com points out, Adobe will take Macromedia's hold on authoring and webware into their pool of image creation, pdf's and video. That sounds sweet. Through the years of using these apps we all have found many ways to make them work together for better "output". As someone else mentioned earlier it is not easy to simply slap together two softwares and poof we have mecha-flashter-effects. Though I am looking forward to seeing what they actually do with the so-called loose end or doubled up apps; ie "go-live/dreamweaver, etc..

Still what I find missing from both of these companies (but have seen flashes in the pan) is more 3-d based apps and plug-in/filter SDK's. Of course AE and now Illustrator have simple engines, they are however simple. A little ways back adobe had Atmospheres when they thought that 3-d avatar chat was the future. As for programming effects, I also miss the days when joe schmo could write filters and plug ins with ease.

I'd like to see these technologies come back in to play.