Sign in to follow this  
Guest speemur

whats this effect all about

Guest speemur

whats going on in this shot? have the two guys just been keyed off the background? it's sort of reminiscient of the matrix effect but this doesnt strike me as something that involves multiple cameras. multiplane?

http://www.headwatersdesign.com/effect.mov

mike

ps. to give credit where credit is due - that is from digital kitchen's reel.

http://www.d-kitchen.com

Guest Hubzy

I think your right on with the keying of the the foreground guys. The motion of the foreground and background seem similar but is different enough to give the overall panning a unique look.

Guest firemind

Isn't that just parallax at work? Foreground moving faster than background? Thus creating a pseudo 3D-effect when slightly rotated / zoomed?

Guest speemur

seems to be the case. i just did some experiments with a still image and you can get a similar look and feel by popping the subject off the background. now to do something really cool with it....

Guest yogert909

looks like a motion control shot to me. the foreground guys are quite close to the camera and the camera is moving in relation to them as well as the background. the motion seems to match the way I'd expect it to.

The reason I think it is motion control is that the foreground lighting doesn't seem to match the background(most likely by design).

Guest yogert909

motion control is a robotic camera rig which can reproduce the same movement over and over. You can shoot a background plate on location and shoot your actors on bluescreen the the studio and since the camera movement is the same, it'll composite perfectly. That is, at least if the lighting matches.

Looking at the shot in question, it seems as if the lighting is off just enough that it creates a strange effect of the actors being in a different place. Putting the actors close to the camera only enhances the parallax effect of a moving camera.

Motion control is used extensively in special effects.

Guest speemur

im just thinking of trying some shots like this with no budget. couldn't you shoot the actor in the same location with a blue screen up behind them, then shoot the background and composite them? that way the lighting would be the same.

Guest govinda

This isn't an answer, but something I think I noticed about the shot. It almost looks like the furthest-forward tree leaves are shot in the same pass as the actors. IOW, the actors are sitting on their chairs in the cyc with some leaves over their head. Then a tree of the same species is in the shot that's composited in behind them.

Blue / green-screen is worth trying on a lark, just to see how hard it can be to light properly. The first time I did it, a long time ago, I learned the painful lesson. I couldn't get a key. Luckily it was just a test in a Brooklyn loft using a friend and a DV cam and not for a deliverable.

Search the AE forum on the Cow for some green screen tips: http://www.creativecow.net. There are some good posts from 2001/2002 about how to fake chroma green paint, motion track using ping-pong balls, etc.

-govinda