Sign in to follow this  
Guest zacid

working reel

Guest zacid

ezz-thetics new working reel:

ezz-theticmedia.com/videos/reelhires.mov

comments welcome :)

Guest 3rdMARTINI

Well, what you've got here isn't really a reel so much as an industrial video or glorified PowerPoint Presentation. There's so much time devoted to telling us who you are and what you do, you leave no time to show WHAT YOU'VE DONE... which is what a reel is all about.

First off, consider finding a different music track. The Propellerheads song from The Matrix has been one of the most overused music tracks for demo reels in the last 5 years. It does nothing to separate you from the rest of the crowd.

Second, show us your work! We can read all about you on your web site or a brochure. When a potential employer looks at your reel, they want to see what you can do. Based on this reel, I didn't see any work at all... aside from scrolling text and floating video boxes... neither of which say "motion graphic design". They actually say "Avid editor", which is fine if that's what you want to say, but putting your reel on this site means you want it critiqued from a motion graphics standpoint. Therefore, I have to say I didn't see any motion graphics.

If you have logo or print work to show as part of your reel, great, but don't just show us a still frame for 10 seconds of the work. Turn it into a mograph piece. There was a great example posted a week or so ago of a reel a guy made of his logo work. He put some life into the logos and made them into a nice collective mograph piece.

You've got a lot of buzzphrases near the end of your presentation regarding reaching the right audience and giving the right message. I think you need to ponder that for yourself and see if you are meeting all those criteria in what you're trying to achieve.

What you do have looks clean, but recut your reel showing actual motion graphics that you've done. Leave all the live motion stuff for a visual effects, editing, or director's reel (whichever is most appropriate for your work).

Edited by 3rdMARTINI

Guest 3rdMARTINI

Oh, and even though the film leader imagery is overdone, I like your site. Simple yet clean.

Guest mofresh

Yep im not really feeling any evidence of it being a mograph reel either, or even a reel at all. With all your contact info and other text, it looks more like an advertisement to me. Stop by the Reels thread to checkout other reels, and see what goes into those :)

Guest 3rdMARTINI

Did I scare zacid away? I've noticed lately that I tend to be the thread killer when it comes to reel critiques.

Edited by 3rdMARTINI

Guest 3rdMARTINI

Oh, OK... didn't realize that the gear/wrench was the only thing we were supposed to be looking at.

No, it's not too pixellated.

Keep on doing that pro work. I guess guys like MK12, Renascent, BNS, and others who don't have a reel full of live action are amateurs.

Edited by 3rdMARTINI

Guest scottgfx
...ive been having trouble working with bitmap images lately, is there any way to make the image scale up, but stay crystal clear?

28959[/snapback]

Redraw the artwork in Illustrator? If I'm remembering the drawing correctly, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Do you do work for Mills/James?

Edited by scottgfx

Guest 3rdMARTINI

Also sorry for the rather short/tempered reply last time.

However, I stand by my initial critique. You really DON'T have a motion graphics reel on your hands. You have an industrial video/presentation because of all the selling of yourself you're trying to do. Even if you take all of that out, you have an editing or maybe a visual effects reel.

Look at the reels in the Reels & Portfolios section. THOSE are reels, even if you don't care for the styles of work you see. The format is what's correct... or at least generally accepted within the industry.

Re-edit your reel according to the generally accepted format and perhaps we can give a more detailed, thoughful critique.

Edited by 3rdMARTINI

Guest fluke

!!!!

I used to be an Avid editor and my reel said Avid editor on it, even if i put a couple of bits of motion graphics over the top. It's surely no criticism to suggest that that's what this looks like to me. The bias is irrefutably towards video here, rather than moving graphics.

I wouldn't know what suggestions to make about the design really as I don't really see it either. The text is clean enough, nothing too offensive...

?

Guest fluke

... once my reel was all motion graphics, I started calling it a motion graphics reel. Again, no criticism but I think to some extent you have to meet expectations and most people watching a motion graphics reel expect, well, a majority of motion graphics. good that you used no filters, though.

Guest parallax

I think pretty much everything has been said.

I bet this guy is making the big bucks though, you all know why..

Guest Scorch

First reaction, Your 'reel' looks like something done in powerpoint in 1991. :(

i am afraid a lot of the stuff you guys said is not true.

how can opinions be proven false?

and the reel is the best motion gfx ive seen in columbus here.

Well I'm moving to Columbus then, they must be crying out for some 'motion' & 'graphics'

I have lots of footage on the reel of REAL people, not just cut-out-shapes of people moving like all the mograph "reels" do.

This site is called 'mograph.net' so 'mograph' is what we expect to see in the reels section of a 'mograph' site.

i'll keep doing pro work for playboy

funny as f**k, no really

I think that when someone fails to listen to what's being said to them they are deluded. The movement, what little there is, is stilted and linear. The video footage itself looks to be of a very low quality. I'm not quite sure why you thought you'd post it up here. What were you hoping to achieve? Most people post stuff so that they can get useful hints and critique about their work. If all you are going to do is say that "i am afraid a lot of the stuff you guys said is not true." then I can't see what your motive for posting was.

Guest parallax

Zacid, it would be safe to say that the vast majority op people posting here have jobs in the industry, and are certainly up to industry standards.

Just take a look around in the reels section once in a while, and acknowledge the fact that it is filled with great design, animation and film. Some might be a bit derative, or 'styleshoppy'in your opinion, it is certainly done by skilled people, and they got paid doing it.

While you might be more geared towards corporate video (wich i think if i see your reel) that doesn't mean footage of real people, and your vast and awe inspiring client list are the pinnacle of motion graphics.

Though working for Playboy does offer more interesting perks as opposed to the likes of Nike or Audi.

Edited by parallax

Guest Scorch
my use of motion graphics makes me a pro, who else in here can claim this amazing client list? i worked really hard on that stuff just for it to be tossed out without consideration by light-weights that hope they will someday get jobs. ;)

I didn't realise this was a competition Zacid, but if you actually took the time to research the industry you claim to be in then you might fair a better chance when posting something up on a forum like this. I'll say it again, I don't know why you chose to post on here. You weren't looking for tips or advice, because anything that has been given to you, you've just thrown it back.

To call people on this forum lightweights is ludicrously naive. I've been working in this industry for 5 years with my own company. Have you seen my client list?

If all you can do is maintain your delusions that you do have a good reel, then what hope have you of improving?

Guest 3rdMARTINI

Not much of a lightweight here either. I'm nearing 10 years in some form of mograph capacity.

And, being one that's seen his fair share of Playboy videos, the production value in them sucks. So, that's not a big brag other than the fact that you see lots of boobs in your daily work.

This is going to turn into an AWESOME thread. I can feel it.

Edited by 3rdMARTINI

Guest Palazzo

I can't beleive this thread.

I can't believe you contradictory comments, zacid.

Oh, and by the way, you can do good work for a Mom and Pop tire shop just as easily as you can do good work for playboy. Similarly you can do bad work for mom and pop or playboy. It depends on your ability to design.

You my friend, are not a very good designer, take criticism poorly, and i suspect could be under thirteen years old.

Do they rules about that on this forum ?

Seriously.

Grow up, listen, and take advantage of the didactic people that use this forum.

Good luck.

Guest Scorch
oh yes, hey scorch, your flash site could really use some work, if you were in my flash class, you'd get a D or so on that site. oh yeah, i saw your client list, are you sure burger king was a client of yours? or were you simply employed there, scorching whoppers?

29647[/snapback]

This thread gets more ridiculous by the day!

There are more childish one-liners in your posts than anyone else's. I think we should have a quick poll. Which is the better designed website, reel and stronger client list, Zacid Vs. Scorch

(Sorry everyone, this is getting pointless, someone kill the thread, please)

Guest bozz_eyes

zacid: you might be a really cool guy, can't really tell from your showreel. you asked for comments, and please don't take offence, but i'd rather watch dave lee travis play macbeth than watch that monstrosity again.

if you are american, you won't get it, but you could always ask your lawyer.

http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/dave_lee_travis_page.htm

Guest Hollywood

20 years in the business and you dont understand why bitmaps look crap blown up - Good God.

Vector graphics is on page 2 of the Graphics 'For Dummies' Guide.

Good luck with Powerpoint 2005.

Burgers round at Scorch's if he really used to flip burgers - going on his reel I suspect not.

Guest parallax

BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER

What is borderline personality disorder (BPD)?

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is the name given to one of a group of psychiatric conditions called 'personality disorders'. BPD is characterised by distressing emotional states, difficulty in relating to other people and self-harming behaviour. Because of the behaviour associated with this condition, people with BPD often alienate those who know them, and have difficulty finding effective treatment and support. Over time, however, and especially where there is appropriate treatment and support, many people do learn to manage their behaviour successfully.

What are the symptoms?

People with BPD have persistent difficulty relating to others and to the world around them. This may include idealising or devaluing other people, difficulty compromising, marked impulsiveness and intense outbursts of anger, depression and anxiety. They may feel dependent on others for their identity or afraid of being left alone, and so often make frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. This may result in extreme behaviour such as repeated self-mutilation and taking overdoses of medication. Such behaviour—often dismissed as 'attention-seeking' or 'manipulation'—is a symptom of the disorder and requires professional treatment, as well as education and support for family and other carers.