Sign in to follow this  
Guest igorschmigor

design and music

Guest igorschmigor

The discussion in the reels-section's "dongjoo"-thread made me think that this deserves its own thread.

First of all, who pays for song-licenses? As whizz said, in germany they make us pay for every reproduction or broadcast of other peoples music, no matter if its for personal use only. It's an organization called GEMA that makes you bleed for even putting portions of a song on your personal website. What's it like in other countries? (In germany some fitness-studios had to close because the fees for publically playing radio in their fitness-rooms were increasing to a ridiculous level)

And: What music do you listen to? Quote by scottiedarco:"How can you call yourself a designer and not listen to trip-hop? Shame shame shame."

Me, i listen mostly to HipHop, a bit of Blaxploitation-tracks and some oldschool Rock like Jethro Tull, Kiss, Uriah Heep.... Do you listen to music during work at all?

Guest firemind

Heheh, I was wondering when the 'what music do you listen to' thread would pop up.

Rules here in .nl are pretty strict as well, we have an agency called BUMRA/STEMRA that controls music usage over here. Same kinda stuff, companies officially need to pay to have their employees listen to the radio, high prices for very limited uses etc.

Basically there are a few options if you want to avoid paying for music:

1) Use the music you want and pray it goes undetected.

2) Make your own music. Depending on your skills this might not be a viable option.

3) Strike a deal with a small/underground artist/record label. They're often more willing to give you permission than the big commercial labels. There's also a lot of music either opensource or licensed via creative commons. Quality varies highly ofcourse.

4) Use classical music. It's in the public domain, though the performances by whatever orchestra *are* copyrighted. The trick is to then choose a performance by some obscure orchestra. Or layer different versions. Not quite legal, but near impossible to get busted for.

As for what I listen to, I must admit my tastes are pretty wide. In the company of colleagues (i.e. at work) it's usually 80s pop, 70's disco/funk, a bit of hiphop and alternative rock. At home I prefer dark ambient, 80's industrial, rythmic noise and IDM.

Do you listen to music during work at all?

Music is absolutely vital to getting me through the day, that and cinnamon tea with huge amounts of sugar ;-)

Guest André Leroux

(In Germany some fitness-studios had to close because the fees for publically playing radio in their fitness-rooms were increasing to a ridiculous level)

Wow, I nearly fell of my chair when I read that one, Igorsh. We don't have that problem in North America, not in Canada anyways. I love watching those babes through the see through glass. It would be sad to see them close down because of such an issue. : )

Most music found on demoreels are mostly instrumentals, keeping it neutral, not to take away from the visuals as firemind had indicated in an other thread. There are loads of great music out specifically for these purposes & at a very reasonable price. A good source is http://www.flashsound.com/. One great thing about it, is that you can pick a genre & use groove loops to control the length of the music.

Can someone freely use music from any source to promote oneself & not get nailed is an issue I don't know too much about. I will check it.

My 2 cents

André

Guest flowrez

hahaha... that's sad... If a fitness studio has to close because of that. They should have put up microphones in front of the people who are training to create a human beatbox choir... wouldn't that be great!

About the music.. it really sucks indeed. The problem is... At a certain point, the artist doesn't have the the full rights on his own music. Even when he says you can use it for free.... the Rights agency will have the right to have you pay for it.

flo

My style? Squarepusher is my fav.. but I listen to all kinds of music... some names I bought lately... pepe deluxe, sidewinder, themroc, plump dj's... Mostly electronic music.