Sign in to follow this  
Guest thejob

MK12 Brazil mograph

Guest thejob

I just saw this piece of MK12 and really lovin 'it! Very impressive to me. For the moment I'm trying to figure out how the cameras work in AE. Is this done with cams? Is there a tutorial about it maybe?

later

Guest 3rdMARTINI

It is done with a camera.

Really nothing to it as far as needing a tutorial. Simply make a REALLY BIG comp that you time all your events on, and then put it into another comp as a 3D layer while you run a camera across the plane.

Guest Nhowe
It is done with a camera.

Really nothing to it as far as needing a tutorial.  Simply make a REALLY BIG comp that you time all your events on, and then put it into another comp as a 3D layer while you run a camera across the plane.

28564[/snapback]

Thats one way... but i doubt it was done with one big picture... that would make ae choke...

Guest thejob

that must have been a huge comp. I understand that you can "re-use space" when an event has taken place but still...huge.

thanx for the quick replies.

edit: great yuppster!

Edited by thejob

Guest govinda

There's a big thread on this at the Cow in 2003, and I think *maybe* Timmy of MK12 actually came on to talk about how it was done. Do a search there.

Guest yuppster

Eh, Timmy talks about the Brazil piece in the thread I posted 3 posts up (which was posted here, in 2003). I'll just repost Timmy's comments here, what the hell:

so the brazil piece was built in a matter of something like two and a half weeks. it was a very quick production schedule because 1) it wasn't a money maker and 2) we had money makin' jobs with deadlines that needed to be worked on but they weren't as near as fun in both concept and production as the brazil inspired piece was.

so the quick of the short: nando of nakd.tv was creative directing the book put out by DGV. originally, a dvd was supposed to accompany the book but ya know, funding, costs, who knows stopped that and the book was published al a carte. this was found out after the fact. moving on. so dretzka was busy with our friend eric, makin' the print work. and me, matt, jed, ben and shaun tried to figure out what we were gonna do for the animation side of things.

so it was decided that "machismo" whould be the subject. deforrestation came in a close second. so off with the animtion. except we had no idea what machismo was about. so we called up many a brazillian, mostly friends of friends to get their input as to what machismo actually was, how it was viewed in the past and the present.

we taped the phone interviews and then someone had the idea of animating the phone interviews...

so we went with one voice, nando's brother. we cut his interview down to a workable audio track.

each of us had a chunk of audio. we all worked from the same image resource folder we collected earlier, compounded on top of what dretzka already had gathered for the print work.

oringally, everything was in black and white. going back to the (print) idea that if it didn't work in black and white, it won't fucking work in color. everything was tinted after the fact with hsv values of orange and green. this was also helpful in covering up the seams, in going from each individual cut from the other...

style boards were made. style was chosen.

as far as rules for the animation... we decided to hold camera movements to a 45 degree rotational axis. but from there, it was all improv. whatever was said was then visually represented by the animation.

so BAM! and days later, clips were finalized and we sat around making said clips fit together. shaun then created the audio after the initial full cut was made, matching the animation...

and then we called the concept graphic journalism.

the end.

Guest govinda

That's great, yuppster found the post I was talking about, and it was HERE, not the Cow, and it happened before he'd even signed on. I need sleep...