Sign in to follow this  
Guest pepe

Bitting "Slang word for copying others work"

Guest igorschmigor

yes, he/she/they've obviously been "very inspired". Juries can't know everything so sometimes people get awards by biting stuff.

Guest jasfish

i've seen this link before and i don't agree. similar color schemes but beyond that i think it's an insult to gmunk's finn movie to compare it to 2 advanced's stuff.

lots of different designers have outlined figures/footage .. to use that as a comparison. i don't buy it.

Guest parallax

Apart from a commonly used 'style', ZERO similarity. They both did not invent small annoying techno print, and they both didn't invent outlines.

Guest Hubzy

I've seen that silly spectrum ad before. That's hilarious. It's like visually verbatim. Mabye that's the true process of selling out. I mean, those dudes are relatively tech savvy to create that, yet to know their using someone else's blueprints, thats got to be hallowing. I don't know. I hope in the same situation, I say no, go home, and tell someone I trust.

.....and to snag an Addy for it, Wow.

Guest SermonOfMockery

yeah i dunno if i'd call it a rip but it is fucking terrible work any way you look at it. the typography is atrocious, the rhythm is all wrong, and the design is an uninspired take on gmunk and 2A (though i don't really think it qualifies as a direct rip). ugh.

Guest scottgordon

Parallax, how can you say there is zero similarity? Are you joking (it's been a long day, I'm not sure!) The opening sequence is exactly the same - layout, effect, everything!

Guest parallax

I'm talking about the link Andre Leroux posted, should i look at something else :?:

Guest parallax

Well, i watched the 2 quicktimes, and it is indeed very similar. It even has the same graphics.

Can you say carbon copy?

Guest speemur

two things:

one. check this out from the same site

http://www.specvid.com/movies/LONGFORM/Catalina.mov

reminds me a lot of psyops AT&T stuff, but way crappier.

secondly. i find this whole mograph thing very imitative. i mean, did everyone just all of a sudden start feeling that gradients and outlines were just something they really felt they needed to explore. not really, they bit a nice big hunk off and made sure that their reel was up to date. it could be anything that comes out, some bleeding edger should just do something really bad and see how many people pick it up. everytime you get into that art vs design realm, imitation and trends are an issue. i guess its all about pushing and finding new tweaks but design in general is just so full of cliches. they are cliches i can barely imitate but people just do what is up at the moment and thats enough to keep the whole thing spinning. what can you do, the answer is always the same; work harder, imagine better.

Guest Astfgl

Yikes, it looks like they had a good crack at ripping gmunk off but fell short in the quality. Some of those outlines are terrible! The crappy 3D elements... theyre so... crappy. And arnt 45 degree arrows suppoosed to be 45 degrees?

What the hell is an 'Addy' and why would they win one for this garbage? Even on its own merits, its pretty awful.

Guest jasfish

RE: "What the hell is an 'Addy' and why would they win one for this garbage? Even on its own merits, its pretty awful."

IMHO, I don't believe an Addy is worth anything. Everyone who enters seems to win, you have to buy your own trophy, and the level of competition is pretty sad.

In the world of awards, an Addy definitely ranks near the bottom. I worked at a company once that was big on entering the Addy's and even he admitted the only reason he did was to make his clients feel good about the "award-winning" work they were getting.

Guest nama rupa

correct me if I am wrong but isnt addy an advertising award? Like you said it seems like its the low end of award to get and its more bought than awarded.

Guest jasfish

my mistake .. i was thinking of "telly awards" which really are the dreck. but i know a lot of the big-time ad agencies we work with don't enter addy's, they only enter the national/worldwide contests. so i don't think an addy is worth much. again, just my 2-cents.

Guest govinda

In the hierarchy of ad rewards it goes something like this:

Kelly--$100,000 prize, print only

Cannes--and you get to go to France to fetch it

Communication Arts placement--my opinion, could be lower

Clio

Gold Pencil (NY Ad Club?)

Mom 'likes the ad but still doesn't understand it'

Addy

Effie

Local show awards

Guest Scorch

if you over-analyse to the finest degree, then everything is copied from something else at some level. The reels section is full of 'styles' 'ideas' 'techniques' etc. It's how you use these ideas to communicate the aim of a project that makes the difference. Anyone can copy a piece of work, but rarely will it ever be as relevant to the new subject it is being applied to. I could, for example copy the se7en film titles, meticulously re-creating the 'cool' idea, only to remember that I'm actually supposed to be doing a mnemonic for a dishwasher commercial.

Everyone gets influenced by others' work, whether they want to or not. The only way to become totally original, is to be born in an sit attic, with the doors and windows sealed, brought up by mice, with no phone or internet connection, no television, no friends (except the mice, of course), and to work from there for the rest of your life, never showing anyone your work, and never seeing anyone elses. I don't really wanna do that, although I do have several mice-shaped friends

Guest igorschmigor

That's not overanalysed. It's overinfluenced. One doesn't have to reinvent the wheel but this is like opening a fast food restaurant and naming it MacGomalds, and using a clown as mascot whos name would be Donald McBomald. It's not a style, it's not an influence, it's merely a cheap copy.

Guest Scorch

They'll know that they copied it though, so they wont have any self-respect, and maybe that's the most important thing. Deep down, when they look across at their addy awardy thingy, they'll know that the work wasn't theirs, and also that it wasn't even a very good copy. They'll be secretly crying inside and unable to sleep for their own inner-turmoil. They might even just pop it in the bin, and think to themselves 'I'm ashamed to call myself human' and smash up their office and run outside screaming 'what have I done?', and then jump under the next subway train. Then, and only then will they feel a sense of profound self-respect and honour, that they finally did the right thing.

What's more likely though is that they'll probably just stick it on their windowsill and smile slyly at their own cunning wit and dexterity, about how they deceived the advertising industry's most important and respected awards, by stealing ideas for their own personal gain. They might even sit back in their chair, hands behind their head, and laugh loudly and somewhat evilly (is that a word?!) as they count their money.

:roll:

Guest vuzz

So from now on nobody can do anymore rainbow in the sky effects. Hell, can I use the color blue some text and a camera move even,,,,, shit just saw a QT of that, it's been done.