Sign in to follow this  
Guest jez

cities

Guest jez

does anyone know of any motion gfx companies in san francisco who preferably hire freelancers?

the good work out there is in LA and New York, with a few exceptions (digital kitchen in seattle and chicago, mk12...), but nothing in san francisco.

ive always hoped that as the technologies for working remotely advance it will be become easier to do this from anywhere with an internet connection... but that has yet to become a reality for all but a few people it seems.

Guest Sao_Bento

SF has to be one of the hardest places to make a living in motion graphics or video production. There is a very tight, agency level in-crowd, and if you're not part of it, forget it. I know a guy who grew up in the area, and was well known as the lead editor at a respected post house for many years. He has mad connections and still can't break through to the agency work. There is a lot of corporate production, but it will be extremely hard to make a living as a freelancer there.

The last post I saw was on craigslist. - check out craigslist.org

good luck

Guest jez

is it something you have attempted? i freelance in LA right now, but would like to one day make the move to sf... i hope that as technology advances and the industry changes, as it is bound to do being so young, it will be possible to work there, or at least from there.

Guest Sao_Bento

I lived there for five years, just recently moved to the L.A. area (more opportunities). I guess, theoretically, someday you'll be able to work from anywhere, but that pretty much means you'll never progress beyond production work. I think the real creative stuff still requires actual face time with the clients.

The SF economy is really in the dumps right now. I wouldn't chance it without having something solid lined up.

One of the most common things I heard before I left was people in this business talking about moving to L.A. to get some work.

good luck

Guest jez

well, there is lots of work in LA, so i would never dream of moving to sf without having something lined up. there seem to be some freelance compositig gigs up there, but thats about it.

Guest govinda

Just to vary the consensus, but not to diverge from it: SF is a hard nut to crack right now. I lived there for six years in the 90s. It has an amazing advertising community, but the agencies favor LA talent for production and editorial. There are good post houses there nonetheless who do get ad work, unless they've gone under (Bob & Sheila, Filmcore, Pomegranit). But we make our living off of TV, don't we? 'Monk' aside, there's as much TV work in SF as in Atascadero.

One guy I've heard of has swam against the tide to move to SF, but he's established as a lead designer with V12 and need not worry about the butter reaching his bread.

I never knew how lucky I was to live there when I could.

-govinda

Guest vuzz

I live in Montreal, and I always dreamed of going to SF to work one day, for some reason I thought that SF was full of broadcast work and LA was full of movie and TV work.

Other than what we see on the news how is the LA job market, is it mostly 3d work, compositing, broadcast or what?

And whatever people say about the smog and trafic I don't care, 5 months of cloudy shit cold weather in MTL is the pits, but yes the summer ROCKS.

V

Guest André Leroux

Hi Vuzz

Are you working in Montreal presently, and where if you dont mind me asking.

André

Also from Montreal

Guest vuzz

Allo André ca va,

Another MTL dweller I presume.

Myself I do compositing and color grading more than anything. Any one company, no. The work is mostly music videos. I want to do more broadcast though. but I am allways open to moving and thats why I asked about LA and SF. The States just have so much more work than here.

And you mon ami?

V

Guest André Leroux

Salut Vuzz

I'm a newbie, when it comes to motion graphics & I've been involved in desktop publishing for the past 20 years. I'm presently working on a short film doing the dreadful long rotoscoping stuff for the Cannes film festival. Its a learning experience for me & I do have a passion for motion graphics. I'm hoping that one day, I get to be happy in this new venture. About looking elsewhere, the people I work with tell me that New York's compositors salary rates are quadruple the ones of Montreal. I cant move around much cause, I'm a single parent of 3. It would be nice to take a break from the cold weather we get.

Take care mon ami

André

Guest vuzz

Salut again André, thats nice to know about NewYork thanks it's always good to hear. I looked at your reel and I must say I thought it was very good. I wish I had more time to do some clean motion grafix like you have.

You say you are doing some Roto, just to share with you. I just did a roto last week that was 6 sec long full of camera movment and subject movment. I started it in Shake and it kept giving me problems undo in shake is the pits, you almost have to start over. So I switched to a AE seat and I must say that the new roto tools in AE are for me the best and easiest in the book, if only they had more controll for edge feather. it still took me almost 15 hours total but after that, I don't look forward to the next.

Good luck with the roto and nice to see a felow MTL, by the way on Creative Cow they have a Montreal motion gfx forum.

V