Sign in to follow this  
Guest gorillaforum

keying plugins

Guest gorillaforum

can anyone tell me what a good keying plugin for after effects is, or is it a good idea to use another program such as commotion etc.

Guest igorschmigor

what kind of keying plugin do you need exactly? what is it in the standard filters that you're missing? Do you need a difference keyer, color keyer, do you need to select more than one color to be keyed... whatever, give us more information on why you consider buying extra software. After Effects might not be the king of keyers but good enough for most jobs (at least that's what i thought). But of course there are extra keying plug-ins available. I know that Boris has a set of keying plug-ins for AE, there is also Puffin Primate-Keyer (Puffin is the company that Pinnacle bought the commotion software from), Ultimatte sells the AdvantEdge plug-in which seems to have some keying features among other things. That's all i know, but i can't give you any details on these because i never tested them.

Why am i telling you this? I saw your reel, you have a lot more experience than i do.

edit: Pinnacle didn't buy the software from Puffin, they bought the whole company (i think).

Guest gorillaforum

I've really stayed away from hardcore video work in after effects just because alot of my concepts involve some pretty heavy green screen work, but I was just asked to do my first live action music video and I really want take my fear of keying in after effects head on. The information of what I have been using is AE 5.5 production bundle, I've used every keying method I know of, difference keyer with spill surpresser multiple color key selections, belive me everything within production bundle keying plugins. I still come out with very poor results, the problem could also be I shoot on mini dv and the compression makes it very difficult to key properly. i just purchased a panasonic ag-dvx100 but have not gotten around to keying with footage shot from this camera, if anyone has please let me know.

Guest firemind

AE 6 comes with keylight, which is supposed to be pretty kick ass. There are specific plug-ins for DV keying like DVMatte by DVGarage available though. Doesn't alter that DV with it's undersampling of color remains a bitch to key.

Guest yogert909

primtte is the keyer which comes with commotion and that's what I use in aftereffects too. I'ts so easy, you just lasso the blue like photoshop and the software figures out everything else. haven't used keylight but I can't imagine it wokking much better than primatte.

I don't use commotion unless I have lots of roto to do.

Guest vuzz

Keyligt is great, I first used it in Shake and now that it is in AE, it amazing. even for greenscreen work keylight works great. Read the Keylight pdf that comes with AE when you install. they have a quickstart and setups for different situations