Sign in to follow this  
Guest Barry Evans

AE - Time Remapping and motion blur

Guest Barry Evans

Need some help with this:

Im doing an animation of a ball bouncing and at a certain point I want the animation to slow down to a crawl and then speed up again. So i've created my animation to run at the slowest speed and then placed that comp inside a new one and applied time remapping to speed it up at the beginning and end. I'm applying motion blur and I want it to be relative to the comp speed, so when the anim slows down the motion blur reduces.

All of this works fine until I try and do my original animation in a 3D space, once I convert the ball layer in my first comp to 3D I lose all motion blur in my speeded up comp. I've tried collapsing transformation which gives me back my blur but then I lose all my 3D camera information in the first comp.

Does anyone know why this is?

Guest thesimplicity

Are you using CC Force Motion Blur? If so, you probably need to check the box that says 'Geometric Motion Blur'... this enables the blur in nested compositions as long as those compositions have the Motion Blur layers box checked.

Guest Barry Evans

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure what 'CC Force Motion Blur' is, is it an external plugin? I'm running After Effects 6.5 on the macintosh and just using the built in motion blur settings.

Any idea where i can find the 'Geometric Motion Blur' check box? didn't come up in any of the help files.

Guest thesimplicity

Well, CC Force Motion Blur is bundled with 6.5... it's a seperate install (at least on the PC version, under Cycore Effects). I don't recall ever using a motion blur other than this... and I don't have acess to a Mac with AE on it right now so I can't test out your scenario.

I looked at Adobe's website and they didn't list a Motion Blur under "Overview of all Plugins." I know that old versions of AE had a motion blur effect, but they reneamed it to Direction Blur... or are you just using the Motion Blur switch?

The blur switch probably won't work if you time remap a blurred layer, just because of the nature of the switch (it can't blur frames together well if you're skipping them). Try turning the frame-blending switch on, see if that helps. Also, when using a camera, the motion blur switch computes everything based on shutter angle and speed, which leads to a lot of problems with time remapping.

All of this is why Adobe bundled CC Force Motion Blur with AE 6.5... it's really hard to get good motion blur in 3D space without it.